Looking for training in the Midwest or close — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for training in the Midwest or close

dodgeihdodgeih Posts: 21Member
edited October 2017 in Newbie Hydro Tech Questions
Hello. I am from Iowa and I'm about to buy a tank mainly for a side job. My brother owns a decent size hunting/fishing/trapping /outdoor business that should help me keep and get business, but that's beside the point I guess.

My main question is is there any training courses offered in the Midwest?  I would like to take a class but I can't justify going across the country to do so at this point! Any info/links would be very appreciated! Thanks
Post edited by dodgeih on

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,767Administrator El Jefe
    Buyer beware on that company...that being said? Brent from Kansas Hydro has tanks and might tempt me to come out for a remote training session soon...
  • dodgeihdodgeih Posts: 21Member
    Yes I have read quite a bit on them. Honestly just starting a small side business with no experience I can't justify $5-9k to start. I would like to find some used equipment but my luck isn't good.still kicking my @$$ on the missed one on eBay today! It was a steal and I missed it by two minutes! Literally! Ugh... Anyway it seems not many issues with the tanks themselves but that being said, how soon is soon if you would come to Kansas and what would cost be do you think?? 
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,417Member ✭✭✭✭
    @dodgeih look for used tanks on here and on facebook. Their is always ppl posting them on facebook for decent prices. 
    edited October 2017
    Any good Facebook pages in particular @DeviousDips
    @dodgeih I'm on 2 of them hydrographic help pages. 1 is called average joes and one is Big Brain help group. I think their is a group for just selling items though. I think it's hydrographic supplies or something. In the search type in hydrographic and some will pop up
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,947Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Where are you located?
    @MidOhioHydrographics they are in Iowa 
    @MidOhioHydrographics yup, Iowa, west central
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,571Member ✭✭✭✭
    Go for training first to see if you can do it first plus that will help you decide what you need to start with and what can wait
    @looch that's kinda the plan.... Unless I come across a good deal on a used tank.. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,464Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I've got zero issues with my eptex tanks...
    @smedlin most ppl have similar stories or they just plain wouldn't be in business.... Upset ppl are more likely to talk than happy ones and some of the upset ppl have been unrealistic that I have seen.... 
    For what a tank costs? You should not be upsetting ANYONE...probably one of the most expensive and important pieces of equipment you will invest in...it should not be like picking an apple from a tree and hoping it is a good one and not a worm in it...

But hey I have only been doing this since 06 and probably don't know what I am talking about...
    I mean I haven't ever seen a complaint about tank craftsmanship or lack of sending out replacement parts if they are need. Most complaints are 3+ years old and have to do with bad film and activator. Both Ari and Enrique have been very helpful and responsive with any questions. But anyway that's beside the point I guess, as I didn't really start the thread to have a ppl tell me not to buy from them, I started it to find a class close to help me learn the process of prep, correct painting procedures and how to dip.

To expect so customers to be happy at all times as a business owner is just ignorant. From what I've seen is eptex might not be the best money can buy but they are a decent company with decent products, and to be honest that is more appealing to me than to spend $8k for a slightly better product, that will, as being only a small side business will likely make me no more money and save me little to no time! The only long term benefit is the resale value if it doesn't work out for me, and that is why im still actively looking for a used quality tank. 

With that being said @K2Concepts do you have any idea when you'd be coming up to Kansas because I'm extremely eager to learn all the tips and tricks that you know, because I have seen your work and reputation and I highly respect that! 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I would try to find a good, used tank. There are usually several in the For Sale section of the forum.
    @NotSoFast I have many feelers out right now.. Again looking for more info on classes than tanks. Probably should just delete any mention of tanks from the o.p... But then ppl will pry still question it.. Either way tanks and brands are not really my point in this thread
    @dodgeih After that remark? Not for awhile my friend...
    @dodgeih training is available with @liquidconcepts in AR 
    @BigBrainGraphics in Louisiana 
    @pahydrographics in Pennsylvania 
    And of coarse K2 in California or a remote. 
    Those would be the ones I would recommend 
    @K2Concepts after that remark? What one, the one that I complimented your work and reputation, or the part where I acknowledged that eptex isn't the best but explained why I don't agree with you 100% in my situation and what may suit my needs. 

If I said something that you took offence to I apologize. Honestly I don't see how, nor did I try to upset or disrespect anyone with my post. I'm sorry if we got of on the wrong foot, as I can see you're very passionate about this industry and making sure everyone has quality equipment and service. I just want you to realize that your needs and situation is different than mine. Maybe from now on eptex just shouldn't be discussed between us personally, but I do not want to cut off a source for great insight. 

Again I didn't start this thread to really discuss the tanks, simply the classes and I regret even mentioning tanks at this point because I don't want a "brand" to come between myself and good information nor did I think it would come to that I guess. 

Thanks

Thank you for the help @DeviousDips that's what I was finding before I made this thread as well. I was just making sure I didn't overlook any that may be closer! Looks like I will be looking more into those places! Thanks again
    dodgeih said:

To expect so customers to be happy at all times as a business owner is just ignorant.

Nope...this one...I don't expect any company has 100% customer satisfaction and I am certainly not "ignorant" of that fact...nor do I believe everything a salesman, who is paid to push equipment, tells me over the phone regardless of how "helpful" they seem...YOU may choose to do otherwise and that is your choice...

Secondly, I do not require a lesson in customer satisfaction, bad reviews, odds of a customer writing a bad review when I have personal experience based on YEARS of emails and threads on consumers experience...something which you are not privy to...and I respect that and your right to choose to spend your money where you want...

My statement was just my opinion...it was worth what you paid for it...exactly nothing...

So in the end? Yea if you choose to spend your money with a forum sponsor? Yea I would consider coming out and putting on a remote...because you are helping keep this forum alive by spending money with the sponsor...so you can benefit from this forum and the information...pretty weird how that works but yea...you could be some motivation for Brent and me to put together a class and I would welcome the interest because I have not visited Brent in some time...

If you wish to spend the money elsewhere with someone who does not sponsor the forum? Then should we get some interest in the future then yea I will put on a remote but it will be when we get some interest...
    For what a tank costs? You should not be upsetting ANYONE 

I'm sorry, that was simply my comment to this post. It was not personal. I'm sorry it seemed that way. Nor was I ever trying to give you personal customer service lessons. 

@K2Concepts I understand where you're coming from and why you push Forum sponsors. Honestly I wish I had 7 - 10 grand or more to dump into this. As a beginner I do not believe that that is even A smart business plan to be honest. I realize that my best bet is to find a used tank and if I realize that my best bet is to find a used tank and I am extremely actively looking for one of those. the app text tank is simply a last resort. Again I am sorry if what I said seemed like a jab at you or your customer service or business but that is not at all what I intended. The biggest flaw in forums is the same as any other text service is that it is hard to relay your point or tone , unlike verbal communication. Right now I am weighing a lot of options in my mind and like I said number one option is to buy a used tank. I personally think that that would be the best investment that I could buy given my situation. And all the used tanks I have interest in are forum sponsors, not that they will be getting money from the sale either. 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,864Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @dodgeih we have said it many times. If you do not have around $30,000 to stick in to a set up, you are starting out on the wrong foot. Please do not fool yourself into believing you can do this cheaply and get quality results. This is not a comment on your tank, or your tone. This isn's as easy as it looks on YouTube, and you will need to buy some expensive equipment to do it right... There aren't alot of ways around that. If you have only $10,000 to "start this business" then just stop now and save your money.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,947Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Also, remember business vs hobby is different. If you're investing in a business, then invest in the business and be professional. You can't start a business without professional tools to do the job right (to an extent, of course). If you're investing into a hobby? Then do as you wish and have fun!
    Again given my location, and lack of experience this is more of an experiment. Honestly thinking I should spend $30k or save my money is quite ridiculous imo. I am better off spending $5-10k total on used stuff and if it doesn't workout like I like I can still sell for 5-10k because the tank has already depreciated. I think anyone starting out in a position similar to mine would be idiotic to spend that much. There is no reason for it. 

Trust me I get the economics of it, a lot more than most realize. I really hope that some newbie more naive than myself with a larger checkbook hasn't ran out and spent $30k because the advice on here told him that's the best option... 

Let's talk more about stuff I didn't ask about while not helping me get training, to perform as a professional.. Because it seems that equipment and the amount I spend is more important than quality training! 
    How far are you from someplace like Big Brains?

i did their 3 day class, it was well worth it.
    @smedlin where are they located again? I have looked at so many places lately it's impossible to keep them straight
    Shreveport La.

The wife and I did their 3 day training class. Was really really good.

Basically, find one of the forums sponsors that is close to you, and does training..

But, I can personally vouch for the training that BB does, as well as the training that Jim does (he's not mid-west though.. )
    edited October 2017
    Here are three places that offer fantastic training:
    http://www.liquidconcepts.com
    http://www.k2concepts.net
    http://www.gobigbrain.com

Any of those will treat you well.
    dodgeih said:

Honestly thinking I should spend $30k or save my money is quite ridiculous imo. I am better off spending $5-10k total on used stuff and if it doesn't workout like I like I can still sell for 5-10k because the tank has already depreciated. I think anyone starting out in a position similar to mine would be idiotic to spend that much. There is no reason for it. 

Trust me I get the economics of it, a lot more than most realize. I really hope that some newbie more naive than myself with a larger checkbook hasn't ran out and spent $30k because the advice on here told him that's the best option... 

Brother, We aren't singling you out or picking on you. We just see it all the time. People see this process and we know exactly what they see. I was guilty of it myself. Now I know what equipment is required, and how much it costs. That's all. It's simply a very difficult and expensive process. By the way, you are doing a fantastic job trying to weed through it and looking into training straight away. Training should be #1 investment. Now, there are places you can save money, such as watching for used tools and equipment like you mentioned, which is a fantastic idea. Do that for sure. But bottom line is you will pay for things one way or the other. Either with your time fixing bad parts or poor equipment, or buying good equipment. It should be noted that expensive does not always equal "good" in this industry. I paid $15k for my tank and dip arm setup and had to rebuild 90% of it. Do your homework. But this brings up a good point. I (and others) am speaking from direct experience. I'm not some guy in a garage just starting to think about doing this. I do it full time, 50+ hours and thousands of parts every week to support my family. There are indeed places I could have saved money, and places I know I shouldn't have. We are just speaking from our experience and trying to save you the same headaches.

So as I said, if you want to make it a business, we can talk about what is needed and what are good cost effective, quality options are. I won't mention luxury items that are nice to have to make it easier, but only what is definitely needed. You can probably do this for under $15,000 if you're creative. What is "expensive" vs "inexpensive" is going to be based on your current personal situation. I personally consider a $30,000 hydro startup inexpensive because I know what my equipment costs to do this full time on a production level. At Immersion Graphics (Realtree) they tell people $100k to start a real hydrographics company, which is still less than I have into my main equipment alone.