K2 Hydrographics "Pressure Pots" Opinion — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

K2 Hydrographics "Pressure Pots" Opinion

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,198Administrator El Jefe

Comments

• t_ozt_oz Posts: 96Member ✭✭
    @K2Concepts I remember you being a 1.8 guy. Have you changed your mind using the GPI and a 1.4?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with this. I don't have a hood over my tank yet because I'm not in my permanent location and I shoot my gpi at about 6psi and very little fog and overspray
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,198Administrator El Jefe
    t_oz said:

@K2Concepts I remember you being a 1.8 guy. Have you changed your mind using the GPI and a 1.4?

For some reason I started overactivating when we moved to our new shop...I have no idea why but I had to drop down to a 1.4 up here in the new shop...I have not had a reason to move back to the 1.8 yet but will probably try it again soon just for kicks...
    @K2Concepts I know a great guy that does training if your having trouble over activating. He puts on remote classes so may be in an area near you soon =)
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,061Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    If I drop the GPI pressure down to 3 or 4 pounds.. does it put out the same amount of activator onto the film as spraying at 15?
    smedlin said:

If I drop the GPI pressure down to 3 or 4 pounds.. does it put out the same amount of activator onto the film as spraying at 15?

Yes the pressure doesn't have anything to do with the material knob...
  • 2Rhydrotoo2Rhydrotoo Posts: 48Member
    Sounds like the Gpi is the cats meow here.I have 2 air gunsa with 1.8 tips having nothing but problems over activating here recently been in a rut for the past two weeks.tried setting up guns several times still hit and miss. After watching video last night I'm like what hell am I doing wrong. I see a GPI in my future. rant over
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,516Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    GPI is an absolutely fantastic gun. Hands down best HVLP gun I've seen for activator. I also recently purchased a Brain Pot Gun (gun only) and hooked it into our existing pressure pot system. Price for the Brain gun alone ended up being just a bit less than the GPI, but not enough to make the choice for either when investing in quality equipment. Both are absolutely great. But I didn't have to spend the extra money on the pressure pot since we already use one for our automated activation system.

Since I find that both are equally good at activating and keeping the fog of overspray under control, I find there are advantages for both depending on your situation. GPI wins for being more familiar to the average user (not much learning curve since guys are used to HVLP's) and it's much more cost effective than the entire Pot system. Pressure pot wins for volume it holds and how light and maneuverable the gun is. One line, small gun, large volume. If I were hand spraying heavy production, I would say this is worth it. We have it hooked into our 2.5 gallon pot, so the average production dipper could spray for a long time off one refill. I know changing to pressure pots in our production paint booth was HUGE on time savings and efficiency. I could see the same at the tank. This is all just an observation. I have no actual data at the tank since we run the automated system primarily.
    Ordered one today tired of wasting time and money. Next might have to bite the bullet and take one of those classes

• pblizpbliz Posts: 91Member

Ordered one today tired of wasting time and money. Next might have to bite the bullet and take one of those classes

I'm with ya @2Rhydrotoo

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,488Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    As your skills improve and your attention to the film gets better, you should CONSTANTLY be messing with your guns. Higher air pressure turns your material into a finer mist, but wastes material in overspray... Its a cheat for inexperience. As you learn to watch your parts and see the film build or read your film on the water, you should be able to turn down your air and save money, and be more efficient. This is true with all guns, if you are spraying activator, paint, primer, or clear.
    I shoot at 15 psi. I dropped it down to 10..and it looked like it dribbled on the film. Had holes forming in it.

I use the same gun that Jim is using to spray activator (the GPI)
    I shoot my gpi at 6 psi. Started at 10 then after while kept dropping more and more. I'm comfortable at 6
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,516Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    smedlin said:

I shoot at 15 psi. I dropped it down to 10..and it looked like it dribbled on the film. Had holes forming in it.

I use the same gun that Jim is using to spray activator (the GPI)

I'm curious if you try high flow fittings and leave the gun regulator completely open while adjusting at the wall. Don't choke it at the gun. If you're already doing it like that, try the high flow. Just curious if it would help. Should get more air flow volume at the lower pressure and help w/ atomizing... in theory...
    I already use nothing but high flow.

I'll check the gun regulator and make sure it's wide open.
    I've been using the ANI with the 1.3 at 15 the last couple days having lot better results and shooting hydravator. Still can't wait to get my GPI. One week now Jim where's my GPI lol.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,059Member, Moderator El Moderator
    smedlin said:

I already use nothing but high flow.

I'll check the gun regulator and make sure it's wide open.

Spray it on some cardboard or paper and see if you are getting any big droplets,
  • dirtbagdavdirtbagdav Posts: 71Member
    @2Rhydrotoo

Are you using a ANI full size or mini?
    @dirtbagdav don't the minis only go to a 1.2?
  • dirtbagdavdirtbagdav Posts: 71Member
    @DeviousDips

That sounds right. Thank you.
    Yeah full size ANI

I've been using the ANI with the 1.3 at 15 the last couple days having lot better results and shooting hydravator. Still can't wait to get my GPI. One week now Jim where's my GPI lol.

They got hung up an extra day in customs but we mailed them all out last Friday so you should have it anytime now...
    Thanks Jim received last night the Gpi is definitely a sweet gun!