Newbie in Texas — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie in Texas

Hello to all, been lurking for a few years. I currently own a mobile media blasting business (yes the Dustless Blasting). Though I’m getting very tired of eating glass, having glass in my hair, in my shoes, down my paints, etc. I started that business 2 years ago with a partner, at the time it was either mobile sandblasting or hydrographics. Somehow we chose the one that is very hot, very dirty, very gritty, etc. But I’m tired of all of that, and the EPA/OSHA are dropping a whole new world of regs down on open air blasting. So we are looking at selling that business, hopefully for a small profit. First year we did 80K in sales, this year we will be at 150K in sales. So its not a matter of the business not working, I just like the artist side of the hydrographics better.

I have a very unique situation, I live with my best friend / brother from another mother, and his wife. He’s also my business partner. He makes a very good living writing software for a living, so he’s just letting me use his credit and income to get the Line of Credit, as we did with the current business. He hasn’t drawn a dime out of the current business, and I’m only taking $1500/mo. The first year I didn’t take anything.

My personal bills are less than 1K per month.

As in the current business, we put 30K in to start and spent another 15K in the first year buying things we didn’t know we needed and spending money on things we thought we needed but didn’t.

I’ve learned a lot in the last 2 years, business wise. We are going to be looking at the same expense, about 30K to start but knowing full well we’ll be spending more doing the first year.
I’m currently looking at Big Brain for training, since they are very close to where I live in Texas. Hoping to get that done something before the end of this year.

I’ve talked to several of our current customers, some auto shops and some manufacturing facilities that we do repeat work, some have expressed interest in seeing what we can do.
I hope I’m going in the right direction, only time will tell. I’ve been watching a ton of videos, mostly K2’s, reading through the forums, scanning facebook pages of other business, etc. I’ve even called a few other hydrographic shops to see what the market is like, so far it seems to be good.

I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone here. I feel that I do a little, I’ve read so many post over the last 2 years, and the last month, makes my head hurt. But there’s a ton of info here.

Most questions I’ve had, have been answered through the videos or post, but I know I’ll have more and more as time goes.

Thanks,
Richard

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,848Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Richard. Thank you for the in-depth introduction! I can already tell that you will be a valuable member of our community.

The best part is that you aren't jumping into the business with unreal expectations. The most amazing part is that you've well researched it..... And still, want to do it. :) Welcome to the forum.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,934Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome! Sounds like you have your head in the right place and your numbers sound very close. Since you are going into this trying to make it a profitable business (not a hobby, as some others do), then put good training #1 on your list. Also go into it with the plan to get some continuous, regular parts coming through the door. Custom work is fine, and fun, but an account of regular parts keeps the lights on. Plan your business around this. Professional equipment, quality tools, and keep logical part flow in mind when you're setting up your shop. Keep room for rolling racks of parts.

It is a difficult and expensive process. Well done going into it with open eyes!
  • rwrogers11rwrogers11 Posts: 23Member
    Training will be done before I sell my current business and make the leap. I'm looking at Big Brain for training, but I've also have another shop in N. Texas that is willing to let me come hang out there for a day or two and see how he deals with the real world. He also go trained at Big Brain.

I have definite plans on doing commercial work, I've already started researching out and have a list of places to contact. However I want to do custom stuff for a period of time first, to make sure I'm comfortable and have a half of understanding on what I'm doing, so I don't blow a good deal with a commercial customer.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,934Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep, great plan. You definitely want to be sure you have a firm grasp on the process before promising 1000 parts to someone. Many people jump in too soon.
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 636Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Richard and good luck!
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,409Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome 
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,680Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forum
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,446Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Howdy and Welcome to the forums.

Where about's in Texas are you?
    Howdy, in Katy just west of Houston. @smedlin I see you are in Galveston, how's the market there?
    @rwrogers11 there are actually several dippers in the greater Houston area. To be expected though with a metroplex this large.

There are a few dedicated shops and a lot of part timers.

I would be one of those part timers. Even though I've set up a full size shop, I do it as a hobby.

Also, yea, go to BB for training. The wife and I did that. Learned SO freaking much. I would really advise against trying to do this for a living without formal training. it's not as easy as YouTube makes it look.

And.. if you ever need help, I'm just around the corner (was in Katy today actually). And @Gotcha_covered is just around the corner from me. You will find the people on this forum actually enjoy teaching and helping others.

Thanks @smedlin may have to come by and take a look at your shop, if you don't mind.

Thanks @smedlin may have to come by and take a look at your shop, if you don't mind.

Anytime.. but keep in mind it's just a garage shop.. full size equipment (small paint area for now).
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    Welcome to the forum and than you for sharing!...
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 220Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @rwrogers11 Welcome to the forum. Have you ever thought about doing both, the blasting and hydro until you get the hydro up and running well? You could do it in the evening and weekends to get the grasp of it.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,663Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!
    I probably will overlap both for a bit. We are moving from our warehouse to a storage unit, to save money, so we can continue blasting for awhile. The problem is I need the money from selling that business to get setup in the new one.