Pelican Case 1450 — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pelican Case 1450

I am doing a Pelican case 1450 for a customer. It is PP and I understand the general plastic prep requirements and such but my question is more about the best way to go about prepping it for dipping. There does not seem to be any way to separate the lid from the base via the metal pins. Has anyone done one of these and if so.... how did you prep/mask the case as well as any dipping techniques that work well. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7
    Do u have pics of it
  • GLHGLH Posts: 12Member
    Me personally I would tape with 2 inch tape around the edges and open it but not all the way and go in feeding into the film on a 30 to 45 degree angle. If that makes any sense
    Jim has old video on one on YouTube but they are not together yet it's just 1 side
    That is what I thought. Since I don't think I can separate them, Im going to have to just keep them together and taped apart. If that makes any sense LOL. The depth of the main compartment worries me a bit for stretching but we will see.
    Could always just keep it closed and do 2 dips front and back. That way you don't have to worry bout the inside 
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,616Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're gonna dip it with the lid closed.... Be sure to put some bricks in it to help defeat the buoyancy.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,061Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @GLH , I've got a very similar one I'd like to do.

Keep us updated on how yours turns out.
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 664Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @GLH
    GLH said:

There does not seem to be any way to separate the lid from the base via the metal pins. Has anyone done one of these and if so.... how did you prep/mask the case as well as any dipping techniques that work well. Thank you in advance.

Is there no way to drive the pins out or is it solid on one end? The bow cases I do have the pinned hinges but the plastic is open on both ends..., we drive/pull them out and reinstall afterwards.
    @SingleAction52 only the outside ends are open. The other ends are unfortunately closed. Which makes sense I guess from a security standpoint.

@smedlin I will post pics when its done. :)
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,061Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I looked at my pelican case, it all comes apart.
    Maybe this one is newer? You would have to drill through the plastic on one end to drive the pin out on this one.