Printer

timmydiptimmydip Posts: 10Member
Hi guys I'm new here. Basically I'm looking into buying a new printer. I'm only printing up To a3 so have been looking at canon printers. What printers do you guys suggest. I want the best print quality also I need the black tones to be bold. Any help would be appreciated as there are so many printers out there I just don't want to buy one and find it's print quality is low. Thanks in advance 

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,021Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epson Workforce printers have excellent pigment inks and the "precisioncore" printhead are perfect for this process. They also make A3 sized printers. BE sure to ONLY use Epson inks in the printer. Aftermarket inks fade really fast.
  • timmydiptimmydip Posts: 10Member
    Thanks I will look into the workforce printers. I was looking at the canon pick a pro 10s 
    Would you say the epson workforce printers are better choice? 
    Thanks for your reply
    They are both good printers... My reason for recommending the Epson printer over the Canon is the Epson inkset. It's known to be better than the Canon for density and fade resistance.

But there is no reason not to use the Canon as long as all the colors of ink are pigment ink.
    Thanks @studebaker.
    I ended up with the pro 10s. Ten pigment colours.  Any tips on a good fixative. I have inkjet fixative that I spray on posters. Would this be the same as activator a. (Fixative)
    Thanks again 
    Yesish on the fixative.... Test a sample to make sure your activator will melt it along with the ink. And put it on very thin. Don't paint the film as if you were putting a protective coating, just a very light coat.

And if you need any patterns to print go to patterncrew.com
    Another thing to be wary of, When you use 10 inks it has a tendency to apply too much ink, and since it's a water-based ink it will soften the PVA film too much. Don't apply it heavy, and be sure to TURN OFF the optimizer. It turns yellow from the activator.
    Thanks. I've been printing and seems to print ok. But I have found that the pattern colours fade when rinsing. Have tried less activator. And more activator. Going round in circles. 
    Another problem with 10 color printers is that so much water is "injected" into the PVA film that it softens it so much that the ink is embedded in the film, instead of on top where the activator can get to it and melt it. You are essentially rinsing off some of the ink that didn't get activated. Counter-intuitively, turn your ink levels down, not up.... Or even set it to only use CMYK and not the whole inkset.
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 220Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

Another problem with 10 color printers is that so much water is "injected" into the PVA film that it softens it so much that the ink is embedded in the film, instead of on top where the activator can get to it and melt it. You are essentially rinsing off some of the ink that didn't get activated. Counter-intuitively, turn your ink levels down, not up.... Or even set it to only use CMYK and not the whole inkset.

I agree. If it were me I would only use CMYK. It may not be as vivid using CMYK vs the 10 but it will work better.
    Thanks guys. That makes sense. I have it set cmyk. It's also set on photo paper platinum glossy atm. I'm guessing that could be laying to much ink down?
    Another thing I have noticed is my film is quite rubbery compared to some I've seen. Could my film be to thick.
    Thanks again
    The "rubbery" film is humidity infiltration (too much water). Dry it out first or after. The humidity infiltration will mess with the soak times. Your film is the normal printing film, nothing different. Keep it VERY dry.
    Ok thanks @studebaker
    Morning all. Before I start today's attempts to print again. I have two questions. Should I print through WiFi or cable link to the printer. Also do I use the canon print studio plugin or just use photo shop to print .
    Thanks
    The only difference is the speed of connection, when deciding which connection type to use. They are both reliable. Both of these questions are a personal preference situation. I would try both direct printing and the Canon Rip engine. A word of caution though, they are both designed with printing to paper, so ink density is not a major concern with the software designers.
    Ok thanks. Well I've managed to get good prints today. Strangely I found using no fixative to be a bonus.prints are staying on and colour is good. Also my hydro vator came today and so I think that has helped as my home brew I made myself was to strong and was melting my base coate.now it's just getting my soak time sorted. I think 60 seconds is to much. Or 30c temp is to much as I find the film breaks off on the edge to early leaving a white patch on one edge. Either way I've come along way from yesterday.