Gas tank Yamaha xj700s Maxim — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gas tank Yamaha xj700s Maxim

TRhydrographicsTRhydrographics Posts: 46Member ✭✭
Combination of Orange flame skulls and Flaming skulls.
Airbrushed some shadow between them for a nice transition.
Sanded down to 3000 grid and then polished to get a mirror effect.

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,184Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Different.. and looks nice

I didn't like it when I first looked at it.. but it kinda grew on me. Very nice.
  • TRhydrographicsTRhydrographics Posts: 46Member ✭✭
    @smedlin
    Had my doubts first too, but the more I see it the more I like it.
    The idea is that the lower part is hotter than the upper part. Skulls going from bottom to top. :)
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe
    Smart...I like it...
  • NightinGaleNightinGale Posts: 32Member
    Little more detail on the stripe. Freehand or tape. If freehand,my question would be about getting uniformity around the curve there. How do strippers do that?
  • TRhydrographicsTRhydrographics Posts: 46Member ✭✭
    @NightinGale
    I used fineline tape on the yellow base and removed it after the dip. To have the tape excact the same on both sides I did put little marks on the tank.
    Pinstriping needs a lot of practice and a steady hand I guess.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,143Member ✭✭✭✭
    @NightinGale check out a Buegler Tool for pin striping. It's a wheel that lays the paint and they have guides so you can stay straight. Pretty slick
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @NightinGale Its a technique they have to practice A LOT. I suppose you never forget it once you lean it, but typically its a few weeks of daily practice before it looks right. Fineline tape is a great way to "cheat" just get the good tape that repels paint from the adhesive. We also used to use Beugler tools with guides, works great for production.