OHW by the quart — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OHW by the quart

DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 84Member ✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Paint Questions
Am I wrong in thinking I actually am better off with the quart verses the spray can, I sometimes have a small run and don't want to clean the gun but the quart probably yields more paint....Right?

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,581Member ✭✭✭✭
    @DarkHollow yes I would go with the quart unless u are doing a bunch of different colors then the 12 for 12 they offer isn't a bad deal. So colors it's better to just buy the rattle can if you aren't going to use it very often. As far as white I would buy a gallon 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,188Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Yes. The quarts contain several times the paint that the aerosols do. Most of the time aerosols are for people that don't have guns and compressors. I use them for small jobs that I don't want to clean a gun over and it's a off the wall color that I probably won't use much of.
  • DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 84Member ✭✭
    @DeviousDips and @NotSoFast thanks, I think my next order ill just go for the gallon unless its an off color like you said, not sure why it was on my mind but got to thinking of actual paint in the can, sometimes us old guys wander in thought LOL!
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,188Member, Moderator El Moderator

@DeviousDips and @NotSoFast thanks, I think my next order ill just go for the gallon unless its an off color like you said, not sure why it was on my mind but got to thinking of actual paint in the can, sometimes us old guys wander in thought LOL!

I think Jason said there's like 5 oz. of paint in the aerosols, the rest is propellant.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    We put 4oz of undiluted paint in each aero for an 8oz total in a 12oz can (the propellant dilutes the paint) - so 8oz of paint to spray. A qt. is 32oz total, so 4x the amount. Like people here say, aerosols are great if you don't have a gun and compressor, but also fantastic if you want to keep a lot of unusual colors in stock without purchasing quarts.
  • NightinGaleNightinGale Posts: 32Member
    Is it fair to assume that 8 oz of OHW out of a can sprayed thru a gun will go further than same about out of a rattle can due to better consistent spray pattern of the gun?
  • DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 84Member ✭✭
    @onehitwonder Thanks for the info! I still have small part orders from a local store that the rattle cans are still useful for but I think now the quarts and gallons will be my main orders.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    the primary colors I buy Gallons of.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,162Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @NightinGale Might be a wash. The cup uses up some paint, the gun wastes a little, the stick you stir with... But if you are down to that level you have your process dialed in pretty tight...