Cerakoted a few of my guns — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cerakoted a few of my guns

Couldn't help myself, and dove in to learn how to make my guns unique.

This AR I did with 4 colors, Burnt Bronze, Graphite black, Midnight Bronze and a mix of burnt Bronze and USMC red, all airbrush work.

I did my Smith 9 with Patriot Brown and Graphite Black

I went after my shotgun with USMC Red and Graphite black

Then my AR pistol in Titanium.

Last (actually my first go of it) my Ruger with Burnt Bronze and Graphite black highlighted slide.

Comments

• norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 776Member ✭✭✭
    Those look great. I hear there is a no bake matte Cerakote clear. Is that what you used? I would like to try it sometime and see how it holds up.
  • DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 59Member ✭✭
    No clear on these just straight up paint.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,516Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    There are better clears. Cerakote clear is very expensive for what it is. Now the Cerakote H series bake on Colors are fantastic.

If your Cerakoting items do yourself a favor and buy a mil thickness tester. It is essential to know if you’re within that 0.8-1.2 mil range. Over or under can cause issues.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭✭
    @norcalfrank I have used the cerakote clears you are talking about and for the price there is way better out there. Big Brain just released a great gloss clear called graffiti gloss which has a 6H hardness level and I use their mattes as well.  

There are better clears. Cerakote clear is very expensive for what it is. Now the Cerakote H series bake on Colors are fantastic.

If your Cerakoting items do yourself a favor and buy a mil thickness tester. It is essential to know if you’re within that 0.8-1.2 mil range. Over or under can cause issues.

Are you still using Nano clear 0% gloss on your guns? That is what I have been using, but some say there are better choices for guns. I like the stuff myself.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,179Member ✭✭✭✭
    @norcalfrank , Im not sure if you were aking about the nano over cerakote ? But cerakote will not accept it .... As far as I know u can only use cerakote clear on anything cerakoted.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,516Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    No, don’t use anything over Cerakote H series. Not even their clear. Its not necessary.

@norcalfrank we aren’t using the Zero Gloss anymore, but still a NanoChem product. It’s their 1% deer resistant and we add an abrasion resistan additive to it. If you know of a better option, I’m all ears. For production, I can’t find anything better priced that is as durable. Works fantastic.

No, don’t use anything over Cerakote H series. Not even their clear. Its not necessary.

@norcalfrank we aren’t using the Zero Gloss anymore, but still a NanoChem product. It’s their 1% deer resistant and we add an abrasion resistan additive to it. If you know of a better option, I’m all ears. For production, I can’t find anything better priced that is as durable. Works fantastic.

Actually I don't. We just told that there was a Cerakote clear that was no bake. I want to use the best stuff I can, especially for my firearms clients. I had talked to you about the Nano 0% gloss and that is what I have went with. Can you tell me what the abrasion resistant additive is, and where I can find it? As you know, guns get used especially hard and I don't like comebacks. Thanks
    edited October 3
    @norcalfrank here is a link to the air cure mc-160 for under 500 degrees, the second link is to the MC-156 over 500 degree air cured clear.
    https://www.clearcoating.com/products/MC-160/
    https://www.clearcoating.com/products/MC-156/
    edited October 3

Actually I don't. We just told that there was a Cerakote clear that was no bake. I want to use the best stuff I can, especially for my firearms clients. I had talked to you about the Nano 0% gloss and that is what I have went with. Can you tell me what the abrasion resistant additive is, and where I can find it? As you know, guns get used especially hard and I don't like comebacks. Thanks
    The Zero Gloss (8822S0.023) already has it in there. It's a nylon additive they call NyloTex. It's what gives the clear that slight grippy texture. The Deet Resistant clear we use now (8831S0.016) doesn't have that additive, so we add it ourselves. We like the option of having a smooth or textured version in one system. The Deet Resistant also has higher solids and a non-yellowing resin so it maintains a pure clear/white color. The Zero Gloss can yellow slightly over time sitting in the can. We found that out when we got to the bottom of our drum sometimes. Was never really an issue until we used it on some Kryptek Yeti and it got a dirty look instead of bright white.

Cerakote clear is good stuff. Don't get me wrong. It's hard and very chemical resistant and a bit too glossy for my liking to be honest. Some other people have tested against other clears (NanoChem included) and it didn't perform as well as others. They coated knife parts and put them in a vibratory tumbler and monitored the wear over time. Cerakote has fantastic marketing and everyone knows about them. There are better clear options out there, especially considering the price. Remember there are many components to overall "Durability" of a coating. Hardness is one, but mil thickness is another. If a coating will withstand 2000 wear cycles per mil and goes on 1 mil thick, in the real world it will perform the exact same as a coating that withstands 1000 wear cycles per mil and is applied at 2 mils thick. See where I'm going? If there are parts where clearance or chemical resistance is an issue, Cerakote would be the way to go.

We have used those two previously mentioned NanoChem clears on tens of thousands of guns. Actually... Last year alone it was over 21,000 firearms and grips consisting of about 89,000 individual parts. All coated with NanoChem Zero Gloss (we switched to the other clear this year). I've had only 2 come back with issues. Both used a chemical that stated specifically "Do Not Apply to Painted Surfaces" and it lifted. (Cerakote won't do that. It will hold up to an acetone soak). Clenzoil was one and I believe the other was Outer's Crud Cutter Cleaner/Degreaser. I've tested numerous other standard gun cleaners (Hoppes 9, Butch's Bore Shine, Sweet's 7.62 Copper Solvent, Gun Scrubber Aerosol, and others) by putting them on part of the stock and letting it sit there until it dried. No issue at all.

What other clears are people recommending? If they request Cerakote clear, then by all means give them what they ask for and do it at a premium.
    @MidOhioHydrographics (Joe?) Thank you for the information and all the help you have been. I really appreciate it in my quest of doing it right.

Frank
    edited October 3
    @MidOhioHydrographics , I just looked at the gallon cal that I received about a month or two ago and haven't popped the top on yet. The product number on the can is 8822S0.002.1 Did they send me the wrong stuff?
    It says Zero Gloss 2K SB Topcoat.

On Edit: Just talked to Naonchem. The formula I have here is basically the same formula that you were using on the Zero gloss, except that the nylon particles they put in the stuff I have is about 5 times smaller than what you were using. They do this so it has a smoother finish than the 8822S0.023
    Post edited by norcalfrank on
    Actually you are correct. We were using the 8822S0.002. Not the 023. And yes, it's Joe. :lol: We probably tested both and I put the 023 on my spreadsheet. My last invoice for the Zero Gloss does say 002. Good catch!

Actually you are correct. We were using the 8822S0.002. Not the 023. And yes, it's Joe. :lol: We probably tested both and I put the 023 on my spreadsheet. My last invoice for the Zero Gloss does say 002. Good catch!

Thanks Joe. All good info. And Nanochem sure is helpful also.

I did a couple of gun slides yesterday with the Zero Gloss Clear. One is mine that I use for competition and classes, so it it will be in and out of the holster a zillion times. I'm going to let that one cure for 30 days. The other is going to cure for 14 days and then go into an LEO's pocket holster as a daily carried backup gun. This should give me some good feedback on wear properties.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭✭
    @DarkHollow I don't know if you have ever used those. I have used both and I'm not a fan. The clears I get from Big brain are alot better 
    @DarkHollow I don't know if you have ever used those. I have used both and I'm not a fan. The clears I get from Big brain are alot better 
    I haven't used either.  Just heard about them.
    @DeviousDips No I have never used them, I was just giving the links to Frank who asked about air dry but from what I am reading in here on this 8822S0.002.1 has my attention! I take it this clear is from Big Brain?

Are you referring to the Cerakote Clears in the first part? Or the NanoChem clears?

I find the NanoChem 0-1% Gloss Deet Resistant (8831S0.016) without adding the NyloTex to be very close to Big Brain's Dead Flat.

@DeviousDips No I have never used them, I was just giving the links to Frank who asked about air dry but from what I am reading in here on this 8822S0.002.1 has my attention! I take it this clear is from Big Brain?

Big Brain does have one of the Nanochem Zero Gloss clears, but I'm not sure what formula they carry. Nanochem said they have lots of formulas that they make, and will special formulate for specific customers. I'm not sure if the formula that BigBrain carries has the nylon additive or not, though I think it does and is the formula I have here with the gallon I ordered.
    Gotcha!
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 104Member ✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics where you ordering that 0%from big brain?

@MidOhioHydrographics where you ordering that 0%from big brain?

No, I order in drums from Marc Devaud at OnPace Finishing Solutions. Marc is a fantastic guy and has been a rep for NanoChem and Sikkens paints for a very long time. He also came to my shop the last K2 Remote training. Here is his contact info:

Marc Devaud
    OnPace Finishing Solutions
    503.386.1375 Main
    866.569.9399 Toll Free
    866.316.8060 Fax
    503.349.9949 Cell
    marc@onpacefs.com
    mdevaud@gmail.com
    www.onpacefs.com