Dip side and skimmer side — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dip side and skimmer side

pblizpbliz Posts: 186Member ✭✭✭
Okay so I just got a new tank and noticed where the separation wall to separate dip section from skim side water is leaking. I only put water in the dip side and noticed water leaking into skim side from bottom. Should I be concerned? Or not to worry?

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,580Member ✭✭✭✭
    @pbliz if it's not leaking onto the floor should be fine. Your just recirculating the water so I can't see it hurting anything
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,733Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pictures my friend.... pictures.
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 186Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    It's not leaking on floor from what I can see. @DeviousDips kind of what I was thinking. Welding wasn't water tested I guess. Here's a pic
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You'll be fine. If the dip side is full and that's all the water that is making it through, no worries at all. Go dip some stuff!!
    Thanks @MidOhioHydrographics. I have dip side 3/4 full but will fill tomorrow. Time to get busy. :-)
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,185Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Wouldn't the two sides eventually equalize and flood over the filter material? It would take a while, but it wouldn't be good.
    @NotSoFast good point. I'm curious now if I need to send tank back to get fixed.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    NotSoFast said:

Wouldn't the two sides eventually equalize and flood over the filter material? It would take a while, but it wouldn't be good.

Perhaps. But ours doesn't ever get above the filter basket. The large dip area lowers enough when the scavenge side rises that it never goes opposite. Some water does rise into the filter basket but it never over flows. This only happens when we forget to turn our circulating pump on and the water will level itself through that circuit. Doesn't happen if all the drains are closed.
    I think what upsets me the most about this, is the amount of $$ I paid and the first fill of water shows me poor welding quality.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,733Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you get the tank from?
    Ours has screw together fittings with an o-ring gasket from the pump to the spray bar. Along the bottom of the tank, one of these fittings was loose so slowly, the higher water pressure in the big side forced water back into the scavenge side, which would fill up until the two were equalized. This was enough to submerge our filter tray, which sits about 5-6" below the overflow dam. I tightened up the fitting and it stopped happening.
    @NotSoFast , I think my connection is the same as you described. I will watch for that as well.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, whoever I paid would be making a trip to my house with a welder and fixing that thing. Who was it purchased from?
    @smedlin @WileECoyote PA , the suggested fix is to use caulking. :o
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    pbliz said:

@smedlin @WileECoyote PA , the suggested fix is to use caulking. :o

Might work. Just use a non-silicone caulk and make sure it's completely dry. Allow it to fully cure before refilling.
    Sure it can work... But I paid for a tank that didn't leak...
  • pahydrographicspahydrographics Posts: 122Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with this tank like I told parrish numerous times. The amount of seepage through the dam is so minimal it will have zero affect. Will it equalize yes but will take hours to do so. Again all of this has been answered to him and I have gave him options to have fixed. I guess none of which we’re good enough. Anyone that has one of our tanks knows we stand behind our products more then anyone.
    @pahydrographics Jake, I brought up this post to also get the views of people who may have seen this issue as well. The solution you provided is to use caulking which I said sure. Am I happy about that, not. Will it work, Yes. This post was made to gather views and knowledge not to beat on anyone for not standing behind their product. You have been helpful and if caulking is the solution , then so be it.
    Your talking about equizalirion between the 2 chambers. This will take 8 plus hours to see. 
    I really don't see the problem with the sides equalizing anyway?
    There is not when it’s off.

I really don't see the problem with the sides equalizing anyway?

For one, your filter media would be submerged. All of the stuff that is supposed to be filtered out would be floating around on the top of the water and potentially float back over to the dip side when the pump is off. I'm no tank building engineer, but this doesn't seem good for proper dipping.
    It won’t come up that high. All depends how it’s setup. 
  • schidroschidro Posts: 351Member ✭✭✭
    I believe there is a video of Jim talking about his tank doing the exact same thing. My tank has done it since day one. It has never went high enough to flow back over in the dip sidr.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,332Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine does this as well and has never been a problem ...
    edited October 2017
    Won't hurt anything. Think about how water finds its level. The dip side is more full than the scavenge side, so as an even level is reached, the dip side will lower below the dam, and the scavege side will rise, and yes likely come up into the filter basket. Ours has never actaully overflowed the filter basket.

And trust me that after 100+ meters of film in a week, my scavenge and dip side most likely have about 10x as much crap settled in them as is caught in the average person's filter basket. You'll be just fine.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,064Administrator El Jefe
    Move on...you will have bigger fish to fry...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,580Member ✭✭✭✭
    Even if it did go over to the dip side once you turned the pumps on wouldn't it skim it back over to the filter?

Even if it did go over to the dip side once you turned the pumps on wouldn't it skim it back over to the filter?

And if it didn't, it would just settle to the bottom of your tank... You can't tell me your filter basket catches everything. I know Jake's new tanks do very well, but my LP tank is horrible. I always have a layer of sludge at the bottom of my tank that we have to spray out.