Activator pot — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activator pot

I've been searching this site but have come up empty handed. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the activator pots (?) I'm just looking for pros and cons, and your own experiences. I see the one that big brain sells ( i think arounnd 2000$) and I once saw a post on FB  that another company made something similar to it, or maybe it was home made. I'm not sure. Just curious if whatever benefits there are will justify the cost of another tool. As always, thanks in advance. You hydro folks are always quite helpful.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We have one.... kind of... We already run our automated system off a pressure pot, so we had that setup in place. I ordered a Big Brain gun and use that same pressure pot. It's awesome becuase there is no cloud of activator. Very little waste, no overspray landing around the shop, and easier on your lungs (if you're not already wearing a respirator). If you're used to activating with an HVLP, it's easy to over activate with it. It lays down a lot of material. I melted the film off the first cup I tried it on. Stupid of me not to try a speed shape first!

Something to note... Our automated spray bar system had 4 HVLP-style automatic guns for the last few years. Worked fine. Through some visits to other companies and research we found that there are automatic guns similar to the hand spray gun Big Brain markets. They don't use air to atomize the stream, but just push the fluid under higher pressure through a small shaped orifice to get a fan pattern. We changed our automatic spray guns over to these and the results are incredible. Our dips started turning out better, less material usage, and MUCH less activator over spray and fumes in our shop. I would recommend a weaker activator like K2 Brew or Mossy Sauce if you are going to this style gun.

Overall, I think it's a great idea. But you will have to decide if it's worth the investment in your business. Yes, you can build your own just like much of the equipment in this industry. I know quite a few people that have.
  • markfoltzmarkfoltz Posts: 96Member
    @MidOhioHydrographics. Thanks for the input. I actually found another company that had something similar. I would definitely like to build my own if I could get everything I needed, that's another part of this hobby I enjoy...any ideas for a parts list to build one?  Ive never seen those type of pots before or the spray guns...I finally did find a youtube vid last night of a guy using one but no other info on them. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    There was a lot of R&D done to figure that system out. If you do your research you'll find what you need.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,184Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to have one, but not for 2k.

Not having a vent in my hobby shop/garage, it would be nice if I didn't create a mushroom cloud every time I activated...

But, not for 2k.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I think @pahydrographics has @TrayersSlayers Trayer Sprayer on his site for around $800
    Thanks guys..I'm pretty efficient with my gun, but always looking to improve and I like the idea of no cloud. Even with a resporator and some ventilation, if I can reduce the activator cloud it's a plus...have you guys noticed big improvements vs a gun? 
  • PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro Posts: 536Member ✭✭✭
    the Pot system is a huge improvement especially for a small work space, truly not smelling like a meth lab or something at the end of the day is worth it.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,184Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

the Pot system is a huge improvement especially for a small work space, truly not smelling like a meth lab or something at the end of the day is worth it.

That's the ONLY reason I'd buy one..

When activating a very large piece of film, I've often said my garage looks like it should be in a Cheech and Chong movie.

Yeah, the math lab thing gets old fast. Haha....thanks again for the input guys. 
  • TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Posts: 195Member ✭✭✭
    @onehitwonder yes you can buy it from me or or Pa Hydrographics
    What's your website @thayerslayers ? I like to check them out some more.
    I just bought a used thayer sprayer...it should be at my house in a few days. Any special tips or tricks with these units? I'm expecting a whole new learning curve. 
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,143Member ✭✭✭✭
    markfoltz said:

I just bought a used thayer sprayer...it should be at my house in a few days. Any special tips or tricks with these units? I'm expecting a whole new learning curve. 

They throw down a lot of activator. Just practice with it. You’ll probably like it.
    I'm sure I'll like it too. I haven't heard anything bad about them. But seems like not many people use them...I also just ordered a new ani mini gun from k2....2 new tools to try. I'm gonna need beer.