Powder coating — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powder coating

jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,261Member ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not doing much dipping lately, sold my big tank, but still have the small one. I'm looking into doing some powder coating also. Bought a spray unit from Harbor Freight. I figured try it before I really got involved in it. I'm going to do a couple of bullets lated, if they come out nice I'll post them.

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭✭
    How ya been haven't seen you on in awhile. 
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,261Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had my right knee replaced on July 21. All of you young guys, take good care of your bodies, rehab is a bear. day by day it's getting better. Thanks
    I do have a bunch of film for sale
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,672Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back, John. I wasn't the same without you! Have you looked into the cheap smoker ovens for your powder coating? They work great for the low volume coater.
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

Welcome back, John. I wasn't the same without you! Have you looked into the cheap smoker ovens for your powder coating? They work great for the low volume coater.

Just make sure you get the right one that can go up to 400. Some on them only will hit 275, I think I have a part number for the one that will hit 400. I will try to find.
  • Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 105Member ✭✭✭
    If you're handy you can build a pretty decent oven for cheap. I got about $450 into mine. Paid for itself the first full day I had it in use. Built out of an old industrial freezer.....

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,607Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @Fejery4491 I have an old fridge you think that would work for one?
  • Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 105Member ✭✭✭
    It might. You'll have to look at it and decided for yourself if you think the materials will hold up to the temp. I essentially only used the outer shell, reframed it and reinsulated to get the most usable space in the oven...and built a new door. If I were to do it again, I would spend a couple hundred more and just buy a few more sheets of galvanized and make it from scratch. Working from the outside in is a real pain, and though I saved a little money......I wasted alot of time and materials trying to make stuff fit into pre-existing dimensions. I used the guide Mid Ohio posted above for guidance.

I thought about that Alan. I'll figure something out in the next week or so. I bought a toaster oven for $2 at a garage sale. Coated a couple of 44 mag. shell I loaded with no primer or powder in it. They came out pretty good, put them on a key chain.

@Fejery4491 I have an old fridge you think that would work for one?

Thanks, Kathy would put me in it if I put one at the house. Has to be on the DL

• RedneckrayRedneckray Posts: 218Member ✭✭
    jtaglia, John, I bought a Powdercoating gun set up for cheap and the good thing about it, it does not require and electricity, works off static and air presurre of 4 lbs, If you want info on it, let me know and I will turn you onto to where to get it, they also have a large gun for larger items, Glad to see you doing well, I was in the powdercoating bussiness for 9 yrs.
    @Redneckray thx, I bought one from HF works well for what I need. Thanks for thee thought
  • RedneckrayRedneckray Posts: 218Member ✭✭
    John, hope it works for you, also you can use an electric stove[oven] works great for little stuff, also who you buying your powder from?