mossy oak certification — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mossy oak certification

is the only way to get mossy oak certified and film like it, is to attend a training class?

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I am not sure about certification, but you can get their film from @BigBrainGraphics , the forum sponsor. I am sure they can answer any questions about certifications.
  • shadowshadow Posts: 70Member
    ok thanks, i sent them a message
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,784Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Licensing is required for larger orders of film. If you're not running production, just get it from Big Brain and avoid the licensing fees, reporting and royalty payments. But, if you need largernorders of film for production, licensing is pretty straight forward. I can get you in touch with the right people if needed.
  • shadowshadow Posts: 70Member
    Going to have to see whats going on! New gun shop just opened 10 minutes from me.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,784Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I don't think just a gun shop would justify the licensing when you can buy the same film from Big Brain now. If you were doing thousands of parts in a single film? Different story.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,215Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics do you use the mossy oak activator with the film or you spraying it with something else. I can not get the cracks out of the print no matter what I do. 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,553Administrator El Jefe
    SuperBrew works real well with the Mossy Oak stuff...we just ran some...
    I've heard superbrew works great. I don't know whats going on because that's the only film I can't get to work with it. I've tried everything from 60 sec soak to a 3 min soak in 15 sec intervals. Tried from 88 degree water to 94 degree water. I can't have a dwell because as soon as activator hits it the blacks start to crack. I've tried superbrew and dip juice between break up infinity, treestand, and mountain country and they all do the same so I know it's me and not the film. Got mossy sauce coming next week to give it a shot. 
    But out of 9 meters I haven't had one hit without the cracks

@MidOhioHydrographics do you use the mossy oak activator with the film or you spraying it with something else. I can not get the cracks out of the print no matter what I do. 

Could be bad film. I ran accross the same thing.
    This is what it looks like. And these cracks come as soon as I hit it with activator. 
    @MidOhioHydrographics I actually thought it was bad film at first but it's the 3 different patterns and they were all bought at different times with months in between. I know it could still be bad but I think it's just something I'm doing. 
  • t_ozt_oz Posts: 98Member ✭✭
    Can film get "too dry" sitting around waiting to be used? Then throwing it on the water doesn't allow the ink and the PVA to hydrate at the same rate thus getting cracks?
    @t_oz I would think so but in store it with 100+ films and half are custom from fractal that work fine
    It's actually from the PVA absorbing moisture and expanding, and the ink cracks. It has happened to us and we eliminated all variables since our activation and dip arm are automated. Same exact parts, same exact activation and dip settings. Same water and dipping within 10 minutes of each other. One film cracked, the same film in a different newer roll did not. We have had it happen w Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Blades and Next EVO. So two different suppliers. And not all films do it. The film that started cracking was stored in the same room as other films from the same suppliers that are older and those still work fine. It's very strange.
    I just assume it's something to do with voodoo or the fall equinox.
  • t_ozt_oz Posts: 98Member ✭✭
    Blame it on the solar eclipse.
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 217Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Can you some how rehydrate the film?

Can you some how rehydrate the film?

Well.. that's essentially what happens when it's on the water. Once it expands and cracks the ink, I don't think there is any going back. You can apply enough activator to fully liquefy and rejoin the dark inks, but sometimes it takes too long and the other inks in the pattern starts to degrade.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,759Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a remedy of sorts.... Lightly activate it before you place it on the water. That will allow the ink to melt and stretch with the film as it's expanding during its hydration cycle. Of course, activate normally again at the normal time when it's on the water....
  • bowdunkerbowdunker Posts: 19Member
    i bought a roll of mountain country and mossy sauce.at first no cracks.a month later...got a problem with cracks....i thought i solved it got some keepers..im using ohw paint and cleaned the part with dish soap and water before dipping...i thought i had the problem solved then...bam!!...got more cracks.ran out that film...dipped some kryptek raid with mossy sauce ...no cracks...the keepers i did get now im not sure what i did now.. if you tape the top of the film then tape the bottom of the film film will a nice and flat on the water maybe that was it I don't know
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    bowdunker said:

i bought a roll of mountain country and mossy sauce.at first no cracks.a month later...got a problem with cracks....i thought i solved it got some keepers..im using ohw paint and cleaned the part with dish soap and water before dipping...i thought i had the problem solved then...bam!!...got more cracks.ran out that film...dipped some kryptek raid with mossy sauce ...no cracks...the keepers i did get now im not sure what i did now.. if you tape the top of the film then tape the bottom of the film film will a nice and flat on the water maybe that was it I don't know

Are you keeping your film in a humidity-controlled environment? How are you storing it?
    nope not at all.i just put the mountain country in the closet.at first got good dips then got cracks then got some more good dips then got cracks again then ran out of it. kryptek raid was a year old stored improperly.i figured it must be ruined but surprisingly i got some good dips even though it has an orange peel look.
    edited October 2017
    There's your problem. Get a dehumidifier and keep your supplies stored properly. Although we have still had some issues w/ certain films.
    pretty sure the cracking priblem is too much air hitting the film during activation.
    edited October 2017
    bowdunker said:

pretty sure the cracking priblem is too much air hitting the film during activation.

@bowdunker I can’t speak for your specific situation, but this was not the case for us. We experienced it using our automated system. Same premium pattern, two different rolls. All human interaction limited as much as possible (automated activation at same settings, dip arm to dip the parts). One roll cracked, one did not.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭

This is what it looks like. And these cracks come as soon as I hit it with activator. 

gun setup
    Smitty said:

gun setup
    @Smitty that’s interesting and possible. What about gun setup would cause this?

It was not the case in our situation. We have a spray bar and did dips from two rolls of the same Mossy Oak film back to back. Only difference was the rolls of film which were received at two separate times. Parts on fixtures and dipped on an arm. Speed, angle, Activator application all identical. One cracked, one did not.
    I dunno, looks like a case of the worms. I have gotten bad film that's done this, but I'm guessing its gun setup.
    @smitty I don't think it's gun set up at all. Mossy oak is the only film that I get this with. Between my custom films and production films I have prolly 150 and I would think if it was the gun I would have more trouble with others
    Probably...