Hydro dipping harley tank — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hydro dipping harley tank

Hi everyone

Dan from Hydroprint New Zealand here

We run a dipping company and we have a large harley tank to dip.
My question is; should we mask one half off and double dip each side or will it be ok to dip all at once with top of tank facing down?

Cheers

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    pictures... pictures help.

Below is a tank i did recently. Well. the ONLY tank I have ever done

It took several attempts to figure out how to best dip it with one hit.

I finally decided that the best way, was to go in with the "top" (big side) of the tank first. Almost straight down.. then roll it forward as you press the tank into the water.

Does that make sense?

• UnholyHydroUnholyHydro Posts: 23Member
    Yeah I get what you mean, the tank I have is bigger than the one you did though, we have been having major issues with our print leaving little parts of a job not stuck so we are trying to figure out why. 

We are having a pro come in on Monday to show us how its done, he did the TWN course in Florida so he will hopefully have some pointers.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,585Member ✭✭✭✭
    Your probably underactivated. If you have any pics it would help us tell you what it could be. Or water could be beating you. If your hitting to flat you cod be trapping air. 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,166Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We don't like to brag... But we have alot of pros here too. And we can diagnose most problems with a pic or two. With that being said... Probably underactivation
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Definitely post pics of your problems and we should be able to diagnose what went wrong. Many on here have been involved with this process for many years and quite a few do this full time. There are quite a few reasons your print wouldn't be sticking. Provide as much info as possible including paint type, cure time, activator type, water temp, film soak time, etc.

I prefer going half and half on large irregular objects. Split it up with a decorative stripe of some sort.
    Thanks everyone, ill post some pics up as soon as I can with as much info as I can.
    Definitely need to get this sorted so the business can move forward. Thanks again
    Water temp 32-33 degrees Celsius
    Soak time 1.00 minute
    Activate + 15 secs prior to dip
    Another film broke up after activation, it was taped
    Base coat was fresh on this particular item (couple hours old)
    Tank  is murky as seen in photo so am currently flushing it out and going to give it a good scrub (what can I  clean the tank with?)
    Hope this info helps to diagnose
    Wonder what the dip window on that paint is....
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,192Member, Moderator El Moderator
    The film breaking apart like that looks like under activation. I'd tape it off and put a pinstripe down the middle. Not only will it make the dip easier, but it will look better in my opinion. One solid area of carbon often looks "off" to me. Also, try to dip each half 90 degrees to each other if possible so it ends up with symmetrical lines like ////\\\\ when viewed from above.
    Dip window is 24 hours max which was exceeded the first time but that time the paint was only a few hours old

Ill try taping it off with pinstripe down middle
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,166Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    This isn't the problem right now... But those paints ain't doing you any favors either. Get some stuff made for this process.

Underactivation, and don't wait after you activate. Spray it and dip it as soon as you set the gun down.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Your activator is a good proven activator, so that's good. Not sure about your paint... could be a problem but for now it's just an unknown variable. Could work fine. I agree with above. Just not enough activator applied.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    Yea underactivated...
    Did first half dip of the tank, came out amazing! Photos to follow!
    Took a minute to see the line from this angle.

Looks good.
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 220Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Looks good! I didn't even see the line at first, I had to look for it.
    Thanks guys, we are still doing a line through the middle (around about 3 inchs wide) to print with another skull print with green base coat, it will look awesome. We are just waiting on prints from TWN to arrive :)
  • DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 84Member ✭✭
    Nice!
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,101Member ✭✭✭
    @UnholyHydro how did you get on? Whereabouts in New Zealand are you?