Paint that can withstand Activator — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paint that can withstand Activator

Working on building our tank from an old 500 gallon farm diesel tank. We need to paint the inside of the tank. What paint could we use that would stand up to the ingredients in the activator???

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,148Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bill86 I've heard that flex seal white works great but have not personally used
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,190Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

If you mix OHW 8:1 with our clear coat hardener, it will spray out and set as tough as powdercoat - totally chemical resistance

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,184Member ✭✭✭✭
    @onehitwonder , I have seen this topic on coating tanks seems like a hundred times on the forum..... And seems like there is never a straight answer. Ive always wanted to say a paint designed for this process would hold up, Im just not that smart in the paint end of things. But, just my ol country boy common sense told me it should work ??
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We used to dip fixtures coated with 2k paint in acetone overnight. Next morning there would be 30 layers stripped off, but it took HOURS. A good 2K automotive paint should hold up to the little bit of activator you get on there... Probably not forever... but long enough to make a decision on a real tank.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,707Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I would bet Cerakote clear would hold up fine. It's extremely chemical resistant. About the only thing I like about it :lol:
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell you what, mix our paint 8:1 with our clear coat hardener, wait 4 days, then leave it in brake fluid overnight and see how it goes
  • Bill86Bill86 Posts: 24Member
    Leaning towards kbs rustseal. Used it to undercoat a truck we restored and couldn't find anything that will take it off. Website also said it's resistant to just about every chemical and i have 2 quarts laying around. A "real" tank is in the future but can't make it happen just yet so if it doesn't hold up forever oh well. @onehitwonder we will give it a try and report the results.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,707Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep. If you have it already laying around? Give it a try! Grab a scrap of something and coat it well. Then let it sit in a bowl of activator overnight to see what happens.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 days for cure beforehand
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,203Member ✭✭✭✭
    @onehitwonder - thinking about doing what you suggested with my tank. One question, since I'd obviously be painting it white, will adding a tiny bit of lemon extract to the paint help reduce the odor like it does with regular paint? Asking because that much paint in a closed area is going to be strong in the rest of the building.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,476Administrator El Jefe
    Nothing like lemony fresh V.O.C.'s...Makes them less objectionable when they enter the respiratory system...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Never heard anything good about mixing citrus and paint... Fisheyes come to mind
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,203Member ✭✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote - yup, forgot all about that. Thanks for the reminder