Thoughts on this as a beginner DIY starter tank?? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on this as a beginner DIY starter tank??

cnterfld21cnterfld21 Posts: 30Member
I'd like some input on using this as a beginner homemade tank. Until I can learn more and become more proficient, I don't really want to drop 3 or 4 grand on a "real" tank. I'm planning on doing mostly small projects for the time being, so the size should ok. And I know that the inside would need to be painted (which is no problem). And I'd also like some ideas on making my own baffles?? Just pretend that I don't know anything (which isn't far from the truth). :)

Comments

• cnterfld21cnterfld21 Posts: 30Member
    I also have access to a plastic 100 gallon farm tank I can use if you think that would be better.

I just realized I should have put this in the DIY tank section. Sorry :(
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 136Member ✭✭✭
    Both tanks will work... but remember by the time you plumb them, get a pump, heaters, etc sometimes you can find smaller used ones pretty cheap. If you are going to use these, I would set one up for a rinse tank.
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,150Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, first one for dip tank and second one for a rinse tank ;)
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with ^^. Have actually seen alot of guys use them for dip tanks
    edited September 20
    I picked up the big tank today, some guy had them for sale in his front yard for $35. I think once I cut off the top section of it, I can use it as a rinse tank (MAYBE). And I already had the needed paint guns, paint booth area..etc. My father-In-law and I work on classic cars as a hobby so we've got lots of goodies already :)
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,083Member ✭✭✭✭
    my first tank was a 6 foot horse trough! worked perfect for what I was doing! pm me if you have any ?S
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,488Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Don't paint the inside of anything. The activator will eat it. Galvanizing will not hold up to water forever, but it won't dissolve with solvents.

Don't paint the inside of anything. The activator will eat it. Galvanizing will not hold up to water forever, but it won't dissolve with solvents.

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the tip. I bought the larger plastic tank so wont need to paint anything. I ordered a 1.4 HVLP gun today and ordered a quart of Hydrovator and some film from @dipdemon . I'm not planning on rushing to get my tank built. I want to take my time and learn to do things right. I have an old bath tub I set up yesterday that should work for practicing.

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20
    @cnterfld21 I would get some k2 superbrew. It's gonna be more user friendly for a beginner and it works with every film I've tried. Hydrovator can fade out your blacks and some of the colors pretty bad if your dipping a bigger item than a cup
    Ok, thanks for the tip. After reading all the reviews on Hydrovator I thought it was the smart buy. Learn something new everyday, I'll order some K2 brew next
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,488Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I am suggesting K2 SuperBrew, not K2 Brew (although it is a fine activator as well) Superbrew is a little more forgiving on some things.

I am suggesting K2 SuperBrew, not K2 Brew (although it is a fine activator as well) Superbrew is a little more forgiving on some things.

10-4 Understood