bought a used tank, have questions

hey guys, i picked up a 4 ft long fiberglass dip tank, i was wondering what i could do to clean it up? i read that your not suppose to use paint on it because the activator can mess with it, the work side of the tank is brown ans dirty, and i dont want to sand the gel coat off and have fiberglass exposed... any ideas by chance?

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't scrub off?

If it won't come up with a good soak n scrub.. then..meh...

I mean..how much did you pay for it.. ya know?

yea.. if you don't want to sand it, i'd just scrub it down really good with some blue dawn soap. Really good.

However... I DO remember somebody saying there was something you could coat DIY tanks in. @WileECoyote , was that you who mentioned it?
  • ldcoatingsldcoatings Posts: 31Member
    Yea im going to scrub the crap out of it and probably cut my loses, just wanted to make it look good before i go and dirty it up lol. Thank you for the advice!
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,258Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Rinse it out, fill it up, start dipping.
    Aright you talked me in to it.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The water essentially is just the carrier for the film, if its a little dirty, it makes no difference (within reason). Gel coat and fiberglass will deteriorate when sprayed with activator (very slowly), so just clean off the big chunks, and get practicing. There have been alot of marine coatings talked about on here that people say hold up to the abuse, but i don't have any first hand experience.
  • TRhydrographicsTRhydrographics Posts: 46Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    When the dams from my tank get too dirty I use a waterbased degreaser to clean them, works like a charm. Soap them of afterwards and they're good as new.
    Also speed shapes I want to reuse, spray them with it, let it sit for a minute and it comes off easily.
    so stupid question. the heating element is in the catch tank, when im heating the tank do i need to run the pump to circulate the water to heat properly, or will it heat threw the fiberglass?
    update, all plumbed and cleaned
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah let the pump run. That size tank shouldn't take long to heat up.
    Okay thank you 
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,384Member ✭✭✭✭
    That should be a good starter tank for ya !!
    thanks, so this thing has a 110 outlet with a sideways prong. so i had a extension cord, cut it off, bought the female end of the plug, and for some reason, the freaking sideways plug is on the other side of the plug... if that makes sense? can i cut the plug off the controller wire and wire a regular 110 plug on it by chance?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,651Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @idcoatings If you have one vertical and one horizontal it could be wired for 220
    yea on further looking at it, it is 220. so now i have to wire 220 to a outlet so i can use it. should have known this. hahaha its a perpendicular 5-20p plug.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I am gonna say you should not be messing with the electrical on this tank full of water that you are going to stick your hands in. Get an electrician. 
    nah, wile ill just run a 220 line and outlet to it
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,384Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ldcoatings , What @WileECoyote is trying to tell you is that these tanks can be very dangerous if not wired/grounded properly. A good electrician would be able to set it up so it don't kill u. Its a good possibility that u wont get a second chance if something goes wrong.....
    i understand ya, had my electrician buddy come and wire the tank, i let it set and run, heat for a little over a hour. the temp went from 65 to 75. i was wondering if the element was bad, i took it out, here is a picture of the element. the end of it was super hot, about a foot down it was cool, and the shaft going to the wire was cold. i did some research and the people who make it liquatech are out of business.... how do i get a new one? any ideas?

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,342Administrator El Jefe
    Yea you ain't getting a replacement for that brother...
    lol, ooooo no, well what can i do so i can still use the tank? any ideas??
    what does anyone think the heat up time should be on a tank like that?

what does anyone think the heat up time should be on a tank like that?

With one 3000 watt heating element? An hour, maybe two. Ours is 4'x3'x10' and it takes about 4 hours to go from 75-90. But that's with two 4500 watt elements.
    ooo.... well maybe my heating element was okay then... the guy i bought it from said it took 40 mins... but he seemed to have no clue about alot of that stuff... =)
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah no way. We had one 6000w element and it took many hours. Like 4-6 hours to get where it needed to be. Our dip area is 2.2 x 1m. About 525 gallons.

Should be noted that we blew through elements... about 1 every 4-6 weeks. Tried all kinds of things w difference wattage and sizes. Ended up going to two 2500 watt elements as long as we could get to fit, and they’re still looking like new after a couple months. This has been an ongoing problem for years. Ask Jim. LOL. I don’t want to jinx myself, but I think we finally got it.
  • NWHNWH Posts: 48Member ✭✭
    I am really beginning to wonder about all you. Here is a simple trick and works really well.https://horse.com/item/farm-innovators-1000w-submergible-bucket-heater/BEW02/
    Then get your self a plug in timer to plug it in and just have it come on in intervals through the night then you are are at dipping temps first thing in the morning. SSSSH now that was difficult.
    I just have a small spa circulating pump hooked up that circulates between my heated scavenge side to the main dip area. Our tank is always 90. We clean it when needed on a Friday and then it’s ready to go Monday morning.

ooo.... well maybe my heating element was okay then... the guy i bought it from said it took 40 mins... but he seemed to have no clue about alot of that stuff... =)

Well that depends on the starting temperature. The water out of the hose here in the summer is about 80 degrees. In the winter, it's about 60. Just that difference will cause a lots more heating in one case.
    And be sure to insulate the tank as best you can. You'll have to heat it much less often.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,342Administrator El Jefe
    edited November 2017
    Or a WiFi panel and then it will circulate for you whenever you program it to...SMH...oh wait...you don't have a WiFi panel?...sad life...
  • schidroschidro Posts: 373Member ✭✭✭
    If you wanted you could always go to Lowe's or Home Depot & get you a heating element drill a hole in the tank by the other element & call it good. Just not on the dip side.