Bike Dip

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,336Administrator El Jefe
This is for @smedlin because he wanted to see a step by step...first we sanded it down as shown in the video we shot. Next step was to mount it in our PVC jig...

Then base coated it in white to make the silver pop...

Then based in silver...

Will mask off tomorrow and wait for Dinnetta to resend the correct film...grrr...ordered REDUCED Flaming Skulls...not regular...sigh...

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,645Member ✭✭✭✭
    Like the jig for that. That's a slick set up. Seams like you have done a couple of those before
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,879Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really cool.

Why paint it white before silver?

Would the stock black have darkened the silver? The silver would not have fully covered it? I assume that's why.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,729Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin different colors under a basecoat will make colors brighter like white under a yellow or red will be brighter then just basecoat. @onehitwonder recommends white under alot of lighter colors
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,253Member, Moderator El Moderator
    White before just about anything other than black. If you want a true color in the end. Especially metallics and yellows. They seem to be more "transparent" and are really sensitive to the base coat color.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I actually like a black base before silver. But it does make it a darker look.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    .......still waiting.......
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you lay down 4 or more layers to your base coat, which in most cases will not matter what color is under it. But with that being said that would be way to many layers for this process. I rarely use OHW, but I know they call for a light base coat.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,336Administrator El Jefe
    The silver would have had a hard time covering up over the paint underneath...so I choose white over black...black would cover also but would give a darker effect...and since the film already will have a lot of black in it? I choose to have a lighter silver effect...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Unless you lay down 4 or more layers to your base coat, which in most cases will not matter what color is under it. But with that being said that would be way to many layers for this process. I rarely use OHW, but I know they call for a light base coat.

This is not always true. We have tried this w colors like blaze orange or neon pink and it just doesn't get bright even w multiple coats. One coat white or black, then base is much preferable to many coats of your base
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,393Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Certain colors are never going to cover completely. Its just good practice to coat white when your paint uses a clear base.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,336Administrator El Jefe
    Ok taping off bike now for half and half dip...