Miniature tank for rims — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Miniature tank for rims

IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,319Member ✭✭✭✭
So my current tank causes issues with the bigger size rims so I thought about building a separate tank specifically for doing rims for now. If I were to run the cutoff at 20" rims, what size tank would you recommend for this purpose? Would a 30" x 30" x 30" cover it or could I go smaller? Just trying to get an idea on a size for this.

Thanks

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,580Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I would go no smaller than 28 just to give u some room 
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,319Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @DeviousDips - maybe I'll just do the 30" as posted to be safe. Would it need to be that deep though?
    @IceMaster that's where I would be just to have the comfort of a little room 
    Thanks again. Off to do my plans ;)
    @IceMaster you wouldn't have to be 30 inches deep. You would be completely safe at like 22 inches deep. That will make it a little less water to heat lol
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,185Member, Moderator El Moderator
    It depends on the wheel. Some can go straight in (nearly) and some will need room to back feed them.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,064Administrator El Jefe
    NotSoFast said:

It depends on the wheel. Some can go straight in (nearly) and some will need room to back feed them.

This...
    edited September 2017
    So I went a little bigger just to make sure I provided lots of room. Also, went to the scrap yard and worked trades out with them and they gave me a few different style rims to have, to practice with. The other ones are pretty straightforward but wanted to ask about this particular one. I assume I would tape off the big holes and cut slits for the water to escape. Would this style allow for a straight down approach or better off doing an angled dip? One more thing I was curious about, when you guys do rims, how far over the outer lip do you go?

Appreciate the help guys!!
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,332Member ✭✭✭✭
    Those gmc wheels are inset or whatever u wanna call it , like where the gmc cap is on the wheel is inset from the outer rim....
    I don't see going straight down but I could be wrong !
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Going straight in is gonna trap air bubbles along those ridges inside the spoke openings and possibly those small faces in the corners as well. they look like they have a little ridge on them.
    I didn't figure straight down would be the option but since I'm new to rims, I thought I'd double check here first. Ok, thanks @Sreynolds and @WileECoyote
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    Just back tape the outer lip, if a tire was to get mounted it would cover that. If that was a customers, I would be talking them into some type of 2 tone paint scheme with the dip. I think you will be amazed on how much trapped air and stretch you are going to get on the inside of the spokes(especially with that 90 degree angle on the edge. Great idea to practice on a couple to get the hang of them.
    only asking because watching videos on youtube don't show any kind of taping, would I need to tape the backs of those big holes between the spokes or just go slow and allow the water to pass through?
    I back tape them...
    @K2Concepts - and see, already kind of knowing what the answer would be, had it all taped off ;)

Thanks
    LOL...nice...
    Well, the rim pictured above didn't turn out too bad after all. Gave it a coat of epoxy primer then some tangerine orange and dipped a snow camo on it. A guy wanted to see how it turned out because this is the combo he wants to be done for his truck. Hasn't been cleared coated yet, that will be tomorrow. I know one thing, SOB's are heavy when your arms are stretched out holding it.........lol

Appreciate the help guys!
    Nice hit
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    Just wait till you have to do some 22s with a -76 offset =)