Alloy wheel finish — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alloy wheel finish

Is the standard finish just paint and laquer? I know some are powder coated

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,162Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Paint and clear don't hold up long on rims, maybe a year or two, so just know that if you use it, you will be seeing them again...
  • greengraphixgreengraphix Posts: 22Member
    @WileECoyote im not painting them I was just wondering if thats what standard factory ones are had a look on google it came back with a few finishes
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote what is the finish on most new car rims then?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,162Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Those are powdercoated. That stuff is like a rock.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok in the book on my truck it says painted wheels. 
  • greengraphixgreengraphix Posts: 22Member
    From what I found on Google they come in a variety of finishes paint and laquer, powder coat, diamond cut. I believe aluminium is powder coated and other more common are just paint
    I was assuming you were talking about aluminum wheels. I have seen painted steel wheels.
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 176Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    My experience is that most auto manufacturers use an “e” coating similar to powder but sprayed wet. Then baked at a lower temp. Ive done several sets of factory wheels that start yellowing and peeling. The best option at that point is powder coat. I try to stay away from hydro dipping wheels because it just doesn’t hold up as well as the powder. Look up E coating to get a better understanding of the process. Very cost effective in high production environments. Just not a long term finish.