Alloy wheel finish

Is the standard finish just paint and laquer? I know some are powder coated

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Paint and clear don't hold up long on rims, maybe a year or two, so just know that if you use it, you will be seeing them again...
  • greengraphixgreengraphix Posts: 22Member
    @WileECoyote im not painting them I was just wondering if thats what standard factory ones are had a look on google it came back with a few finishes
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote what is the finish on most new car rims then?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Those are powdercoated. That stuff is like a rock.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok in the book on my truck it says painted wheels. 
  • greengraphixgreengraphix Posts: 22Member
    From what I found on Google they come in a variety of finishes paint and laquer, powder coat, diamond cut. I believe aluminium is powder coated and other more common are just paint
    I was assuming you were talking about aluminum wheels. I have seen painted steel wheels.
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 183Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    My experience is that most auto manufacturers use an “e” coating similar to powder but sprayed wet. Then baked at a lower temp. Ive done several sets of factory wheels that start yellowing and peeling. The best option at that point is powder coat. I try to stay away from hydro dipping wheels because it just doesn’t hold up as well as the powder. Look up E coating to get a better understanding of the process. Very cost effective in high production environments. Just not a long term finish.