Air compressor pressure switch — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Air compressor pressure switch

StuStu Posts: 11Member
I bought an old worthington air compressor for $150 its probably a 75-85 gal tank it has WP200 stamped on it it got an on/off switch thats it .....so Im going to put a pressure switch on it but not sure witch one......I've look online at one that goes from 40lbs - 175lbs and one that goes from 135lbs - 175lbs .....not sure what one is better .....
Thanks

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,139Member, Moderator El Moderator
    So you have a compressor that if you don't manually shut it off, it keeps running until it explodes? Forgive me if I am missing something, but if that's what you are saying, I find it hard to believe anyone made a compressor without some sort of automatic shut off.
  • StuStu Posts: 11Member
    It had one at one time but over the years someone put an on/off switch so thats how it was when I bought it so I need to put on on it
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,139Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Stu said:

It had one at one time but over the years someone put an on/off switch so thats how it was when I bought it so I need to put on on it

Gotcha. Our compressor (and nearly all I have seen) kicks on at 90 psi if that helps any.
    I may have to look some more and see what I can find closer to that 
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,655Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    the 40 to 175 will work follow instructions on how to adjust it
    Thanks Dallen...... Thats the one I've been leaning towards
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Replace the pop off valve also! Don't want to blow up that tank. I posted a video a while
    Back of a guy that got blasted across his shop when his compressor tank blew up. They rust from the inside out and can be extremely dangerous.
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,088Member ✭✭✭
    Auto drain valve also is a good purchase
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,184Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy said:

Auto drain valve also is a good purchase

I really need to add one of those to my compressor. Is there one y'all recommend?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,465Administrator El Jefe
    Think Harbor Freight makes a auto drain kit...
    Yep Harbor Freight has them for $10 I think I will pick one up ......Thanks Jeremy and Jim
  • NightinGaleNightinGale Posts: 32Member
    Use the 40/175 switch. They are adjustable. Set it up too kick on at 90 as was mentioned and kick off at 125-135. An old girl like that won't be happy trying to get above 150 anyhow. That's new compressor, rotary and oil-less pressure territory. Once regulated down to the pressures we use, a tank with that volume never really needs to be at maintained max pressure anyway. Less condensate will be form as well.
    #NightinGale thanks alot.........will do
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,668Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @stu gotta use the @ symbol