Freedive gear dip help — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freedive gear dip help

Hello all I am new to hydro dipping. What kind of paint would you recommend for dipping my fins? They are Mako Competition fins made with a combination of 10% fiberglass and 90% boralis. Very flexible with a plastic rubber feel to them, also wanted to dip my mask and snorkel. I have not seen any free dive or scuba gear that was dipped online. Wondering if it is possible with that much flexing. Thanks

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,614Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    1) Whew..

2) Being a scuba diver myself..don't dip the fins. All dips are protected by a cover of clear coat. The fins are WAY to flexible. It's going to crack the clear first time you kick.

3) I don't think I would do the mask either. Possibly the rigid parts, but not the seals. Again, to flexible.

4) Snorkel.. sure.

I'm going to assume you are dipping from a tote. Check out One Hit Wonder Paint and Clears.. they come in a rattle can.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,679Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep - customers owe our base and clear on bow risers - you won't have any trouble on your fins - good friend of mine in Bermuda is a free diver, btw

Yep - customers owe our base and clear on bow risers - you won't have any trouble on your fins - good friend of mine in Bermuda is a free diver, btw

Really? Even though fins can bend almost in half? Very Very flexible.
  • SperoSpero Posts: 2Member
    OK I'll check out the one hit wonder paints
    Couldn't hurt to give it a try I guess. Plus if I trash the fins it will give me an excuse to upgrade to carbon fiber. Lol
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,022Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @smedlin you would be shocked how well paint hangs on when used properly, and OHW hangs on well compared to that. We did flex tests with Aqualac on 1/8" rubber sheets and we could bend it and twist without flaking.
    @WileECoyote , is the clear that flexible though? That's what I would be worried about.

man, that could really expand what can be done
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,022Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, it obviously depends on what you are using. But I saw pics of a wreck that had OHW and is was folded over on itself and hung on. And Aqualac was used on a fender on a motorcycle and we used a solvent based clear. Same thing, almost folded over and it hung on. This only really works with 3 to 4 layers (prime, base, print, and clear) get too thick and it's gonna flake no matter what. Always test, but CORRECTLY PREPPED AND APPLIED paint hangs on better than you think. 
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,634Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a bug shield painted with ohw it bent completely in half before it broke but paint held on 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,161Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I painted and dipped a beer can and used OHW gloss clear on it. Waited 3 days, then stabbed it with a pocketknife and ripped it apart. Then bent one of the pieces 180 degrees on itself. No de-lamination on any of the ripped edges or where it's bent.
    Wow 

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 393Member ✭✭✭
    Learn something new everyday
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,679Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep - bending won't be an issue