heat only surface? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

heat only surface?

fghhfgfghhfg Posts: 6Member
edited September 2017 in Dip Tank General Questions
Should you heat only surface or the whole tank?

The purpose of heating is melt your film, so we only need to neat the surface, right?

Why are you guys take so many hours to heat water? or I think it wrong?

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,733Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 8 foot tank heats really fast. But, it has 2 hearing elements, running off a 240w line.

As far as heating, umm.. how do you heat only the top of the water? 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,185Member, Moderator El Moderator
    fghhfg said:

Should you heat only surface or the whole tank?

The purpose of heating is melt your film, so we only need to neat the surface, right?

Why are you guys take so many hours to heat water? or I think it wrong?

We heat the whole tank because the pump that moves the film residue over the dam and through the filter circulates the water throughout the entire tank. But yes, if you could magically only heat the top couple of inches, that would be enough to get the job done. How would one only heat the surface of the water?
  • fghhfgfghhfg Posts: 6Member
    edited September 2017
    @NotSoFast @smedlin because the spray bar on top of tank...? I assume it can fill hot water on the surface in a few minutes, then I can start dipping. Of course if you run it many hours, the whole tank would be heated.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    He's actually not totally incorrect... as the tank first heats I'm sure the bottom, deepest part of the tank is going to be cooler than the surface temp due to location of the spray bar circulating the warm water from the scavenge/heat side. As it circulates more it will balance out.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If your temp is drastically different, it will suck heat away quickly from the top. That makes your process EXTREMELY inconsistent... Something you don't need when you are learning. Stick to what works.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,064Administrator El Jefe
    Just when I thought I had heard it all...