Seamless dip in cylinder — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seamless dip in cylinder

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I can't find it. What is the best way to hide or eliminate seams in dips on round parts? Jim mentioned to me to think of it like a sheet of paper and a seam is inevitable. I've got this production job for 15,000-25,000 units that's 5" long and 1" diameter and I need to produce samples without visible seams. I'm more concerned honestly about fixturing to produce 20-25 at a dip.

Comments

• versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 160Member ✭✭✭
    What pattern? Or is there many different patterns. A little airbrushing usually works very well. Dust some over-reduced black on the seam and turns it into a slight shadow. But 1" diameter doesn't give you much room to work with. You could always try to go straight in, I do that with gun barrels and works great. Try a couple different ways and pick whatever looks best and is the most time saving.
  • chuubabachuubaba Posts: 110Member ✭✭
    Don't tape the borders and dip straight (5 degree tilt) in. If you allocate maximum film surface for each part then there will be no problems. Minimum 20-25 square inches should present sufficient surface tension to ensure a safe dip.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,190Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Ok.. I'm going to be straight up honest.. and brutal.

You got a production job for 15,000 units (and maybe up to 25,000)... and your asking how to hide a seam?

(and you can sometimes hide the seam, depending on the pattern.. but there WILL always be a seam)
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,724Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    A one-inch diameter product will poke through the film unless you go VERY slow. That's why @chuubaba suggested a 5-degree entry angle. There will be a lot of experimentation in your future....

You might want to research "Ghosted Seams". The fixture for such a seam has a wire that "cuts" the film so that the seam tapers off so that when the other side is dipped with the ghosted seam method they overlap with a fade that diminishes the stark straight seam that you are trying to avoid.

Very much luck on your potential production job!

And WileECoyotes warning about companies jobbing out to smaller companies that don't have the experience to say no, is a VERY valid warning.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,707Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep. Take it from someone who has done 8000 1" diameter, 10" long parts since July. And samples another 300 1" x 4" parts for the same company. You're Not gonna do it without a seam. If they were shorter (around 2") you could go one end down and let it stretch up the length, but 5" is too long to do that. This process is fantastic, but it's not magic. Even w a random pattern like Camo, you're going to see the seam.

But... like Studebaker said, you may be able to do it with a ghosted seam. But you'll be dipping each part twice and it will up the cost per part by quite a bit. Probably out of the acceptable price range for the job.