Yeti glitter cups — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yeti glitter cups

sarasara Posts: 2Member
Does anyone know what is best to use to get the glitter on the cup?..I've seen tutorials with mod podge but don't see that staying well in the long run. Also, what kimd of finishing coat is best to go over it? I'm doing this at home and not doing it in bulk

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    This is a hydrographics forum. I suspect that most of the advice you are going to get on here will be a bit advanced for your set up. Typically the products that we use are 2K "automotive" type clears that have to be applied with a gun. There are some guys here that work with cups, perhaps they can steer you in the right direction for a beginner. @smedlin
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 849Member ✭✭✭
    sara said:

Does anyone know what is best to use to get the glitter on the cup?..I've seen tutorials with mod podge but don't see that staying well in the long run. Also, what kimd of finishing coat is best to go over it? I'm doing this at home and not doing it in bulk

There is a two part clear epoxy that some people use on glitter tumblers. You can brush it on. Check Youtube and search glitter tumblers.
  • sarasara Posts: 2Member
    This is a hydrographics forum. I suspect that most of the advice you are going to get on here will be a bit advanced for your set up. Typically the products that we use are 2K "automotive" type clears that have to be applied with a gun. There are some guys here that work with cups, perhaps they can steer you in the right direction for a beginner. @smedlin
    I saw a post on here from awhile ago about the glittered cups so I thought I'd ask hoping to get help. There are 
    many tutorials with modge podge and epoxy. I'm just curious if there was something that may work better that is still beginner friendly
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,190Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the cups I do are dipped cups.. or maybe just paint with a logo.

Randi (my wife) does TONS of cups, way more than i do. And half of them are what you are talking about

(in fact, her forum name is @glitter, kind of tells ya right there..)

We each have our own "business", each with different client base and different goals.

But yea, I know from watching her, there are TONS of videos, facebook pages, and stuff dedicated to that.

This forum is more dedicated to hydro-graphics, which is something totally different.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,190Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

sara said:

There is a two part clear epoxy that some people use on glitter tumblers. You can brush it on. Check Youtube and search glitter tumblers.
    That's the wife uses..that 2 part epoxy thing. And I helped her make a "thing" that rotates the cup, a modified rotisserie. She does some pretty cool things

Really cool looking cups.. just not my thing
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 849Member ✭✭✭
    smedlin said:

sara said:

That's the wife uses..that 2 part epoxy thing. And I helped her make a "thing" that rotates the cup, a modified rotisserie. She does some pretty cool things

Really cool looking cups.. just not my thing
    Yep, that's the ticket for glitter I hear. Never touch the stuff myself.
  • PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro Posts: 536Member ✭✭✭
    ive done a few, the most user friendly option as you put it would be the 2 part epoxy method. clear coat and paint as we do it in hydrographics takes a lot of expensive equipment and expertise that developed over time. the mod podge works quite well on cups provided you allow it to fully dry before you seal it in. the 2 part epoxy is super durable and again were talking about a cup. unless they abuse the keck out of it, it will last just fine. the epoxy also goes on significantly thicker than sprayed on clear coat. meaning you can smooth an item out with less layers. there are drawbacks though, the epoxy has its own techniques for application and has an exceptionally long cure time, im talking 8-14 hours before you can touch it at all. so user friendly yes, time efficient noooooooo. youll need one of those cuptisserie thingies that was mentioned to be effective and to get an even coat as the epoxy will pool to one side if not properly roatated.