how big a compressor do i need?

bowdunkerbowdunker Posts: 19Member
 i have a airgunsa az3 hte activator gun 1.8 mm..i need a new compressor.whats the smallest compressor i could get away with.i only do small parts ..archery risers and limbs.im just a hobbyist i dont do much dipping.

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,258Member, Moderator El Moderator
    How much air consumption is the gun rated for? Usually a CFM rating. Find a compressor that is rated for quite a bit more than that so it doesn't keep kicking on every time you pull the trigger.
  • bowdunkerbowdunker Posts: 19Member
    its rated for 7.5 cfm.i guess thats @40 psi.not sure it doesnt say.compressors are rated at 90psi so i dont know
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,258Member, Moderator El Moderator
    The general consensus is 60 gallon minimum. That's what I have and it still kicks on pretty often. I wouldn't go smaller than that.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 80G. It only kicks on if I'm running the blaster or a power tool (like a polisher).

But even my 80G with..hmm.. 7.5hp motor?.. if I'm running the blaster, it WILL come on non-stop till I'm done.
    i think a gun uses 7.5 cfm at 40psi but for activator psi on gun is set for less than 20psi  so a compressor that will do 3.75cfm at 40psi would be good i think
  • Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 149Member ✭✭✭
    Your math is flawed. A compressor that makes 10 cfm at 90psi won't make 5cfm at 40psi. For instance.....I have a 60 gal that makes 10cfm @ 45psi and 13.1cfm @ 90psi. The correlation between pressure and flow isn't linear. That goes for your gun too.

Your gun calls for 7.5 cfm.....so you want more flow than that. Most 60 gals will supply that. I get a feeling thats not the answer you're looking for being that 2 other members already told you that, and then you decided you needed less. But that's reality.
    i have found conflicting info.for small jobs some claim a 2hp will keep up with a hvlp gun. If you're painting cars all day a 60 gallon 5hp for sure.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The second your compressor kicks in while you are activating, your shaping air changes, causing problems (especially for guys who are just starting out) same with your paint pattern. Unless you get yourself an LVLP gun from @onehitwonder you need a fairly large compressor. Might I suggest investing in "mini" guns and the like? Airbrushing (for paint) might be your best bet if you are truly focused on such small parts. The gun you got is a great gun, but it is used to activating a film around 2'x3'... way bigger than it sounds like you need. Right now you would be just wasting air in a gun oversized for what you need.
    a lvlhp??ive never geard of such a thing.i better look into that.that sounds like what i need.im glad i got on here.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator