Advice on dipping tank — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on dipping tank

smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,438Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Tips and Techniques
See that tank on this bike..

it's really "deep"

how would y'all do this?

I don't want to double dip (one side, other side).. I don't want a seam down the middle

(film is see no evil).

I'm thinking about going in "big side" first, laying the top down onto the film. Then when the "end" of the tank (by the seat) hits the water, I'll start "pushing" the tank down.

Randi will be on the other side of the dip tank, and will "push" the film into the gas tank as I push it into the water.

I haven't even painted the tank yet, and I have SIXTY meters of this film to play with.. so I'll probably try it a few times before I paint it.

I've already done the side panels and the fender. His the side panels first try, only took 2 tries for the rear fender...

Anyways.. how would y'all dip it?

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Try it in the water several times to get it smooth. It's harder than most think to get a tank to go under without hesitation lines.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,932Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I would dip accents some way (like random Google pics below). Something that large and round just isn't going to allow the film to wrap all the way around the bottom. Dip the top then airbrush fade it into a color, split it w/ a pinstripe around the sides, etc. It's going to stretch like crazy if you just go straight in. You can definitely try like you're saying and have Randi push the film to the tank as you go, and it may work out. Put a garbage bag inside and fill it with water to make it less buoyant. Maybe try rolling it side to side?

• loochlooch Posts: 1,567Member ✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin in my opinion patterns on the entire bike loook to busy maybe tape off a flame design or something to break it all up and just blend in with airbrush to accent 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,438Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a better picture of the tank

looch said:
    @smedlin in my opinion patterns on the entire bike loook to busy maybe tape off a flame design or something to break it all up and just blend in with airbrush to accent 
    I agree, and I had originally asked the client if he wanted some ghost flames or something 

He doesn't

The tins are actually kinda small, compared to other cruisers. 

Here is the rear fender, still have to candy and clear it..

• loochlooch Posts: 1,567Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here is what im talking about @smedlin
    (and yes, there are a hand full of touch up spots, but almost all are under where the seat sits on it..)
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Although it is obviously longer, it doesn't look MUCH wider than a sporty tank (unless the pic is decieving). I would get as much weight as I could inside that tank (water or whatever) and start at the stretched part right under the seat and dip down and lay it on it's back. Basically going in at the point, and ending up with it exactly upside-down (to how it sits on the bike) when finished. That top side is what the guy has to look at EVERY DAY it has to look good. Let the film stretch how it will right over the motor.
    edited August 2017
    I don't know if I CAN dip it pointy side down. There is nothing to hold onto

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,406Member ✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin take a 1/2 bolt and nut screwed together and then tighten it in the void and the bottom so you got something to hold
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,219Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hold on loosely but don't let go...... if u cling to tightly ya gonna loose control !!!!!!!!! B) =)

Sorry ..... had to! @smedlin
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    No matter how many times I tell my students that they need to inform their customers that "It's NOT peel and stick!...There ARE limitations to what we can accomplish!"...they always seem to let some customer come in and dictate what they want and try to tell my students what their skill level is...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator

No matter how many times I tell my students that they need to inform their customers that "It's NOT peel and stick!...There ARE limitations to what we can accomplish!"...they always seem to let some customer come in and dictate what they want and try to tell my students what their skill level is...

Exactly. No matter how badly they want something, their desires are no match for physics.
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 761Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @smedlin for getting weight inside the tank, use a condom and fill with water..and tie it off learned that tip from Brett @kansashydro works great.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Plus is always an interesting discussion when your wife finds them in the shop...

Plus is always an interesting discussion when your wife finds them in the shop...

THAT was the first thing I thought about.. yea... Randi catching me with some condoms.

She's cut my boys off and put THEM in the tank..
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 761Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @smedlin you don't need them anymore anyways... just tell her it just another tool you need for the shop

Took a few tries, and I learned a LOT

but did it.

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,406Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    Nice...
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotSoFast said:
    Exactly. No matter how badly they want something, their desires are no match for physics.