Gun stock technique

SeufertSeufert Posts: 63Member
What do you guys think the reliability of sucess rate would be dipping stocks like this? Pros and cons with camo patterns? Also what non gloss clears would you suggest for the best protction? I would rather stick with an aresol for now if possible?  Watch "Hydro Dip a Shotgun in Camo" on YouTube

Might have to copy and paste the YouTube link, I couldn't figure out how to send it as an attachment.

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    It's going to stretch along the flat areas unless you have a second person to feed the film in. Even then you have to work in perfect unison to get it to look right. Why not just roll it? Only takes one person and you won't get voids along the seam.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,381Member ✭✭✭✭
    99% of my business is guns. I either 50/50 or roll every stock. Yes it can be done like seen in the good ol youtube video,but like @NotSoFast said you would need another set of steady hands.

All camo patterns are not going to act/stretch the same.

Big brains dead flat clear is what I prefer.
    Definitely Big Brain's Dead Flat clear. Even a moron like me can spray it easily. :s
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Seufert Rather than beat your head against the wall wasting money and trying techniques that offer a 50/50 shot of working, and handicapping yourself with an aerosol, why not step back and use this time to read the forum? Get a better understanding of the processes, save up some money for real equipment, and stop learning things that won't be useful when you actually pull the trigger on some equipment?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Big Brain Dead Flat or NanoChem Matte Clears. Both are fantastic.

Learn to roll. Practice a lot, and you'll end up with great results. Only one seam, and zero stretch.

On that note, Anymore my guys can roll about anything and hit it first try (I know I just Jinxed myself). I don't even like doing it because they're so good now. Last week my guy Zach dipped an entire shotgun setup (receiver, stock, barrel, forearm, extra cantilever barrel, extra monte carlo stock, and Vortex scope with scope rings) with zero redos. Same day immediately afterward he dipped about 20 pieces of a Jeep Wrangler interior in carbon fiber and had only one redo. I bought him lunch. LOL!
  • SeufertSeufert Posts: 63Member
    I was just curious on this wondering what negative effects this would have on films, I  have not in any way decided that I would try this technique just curious. I have done some reading on feeding film and just wanted to know in case I ever ran into anything requiring it. As far as spending money on good equipment, I'm trying but I'm juggling my first baby girl and she defanetly takes Presidents. "Also kills my play time" lol I am going to a very reputable body shop near me to have him mentor me on clear coat application hands on, just figured rattle can clear would have to do for now. I'll get some dead flat ordered up tomorrow. Thanks guys!
    The negative is that the seam often won't "sew itself up" where it meets on the bottom of the stock. Especially when the bottom is more flat. It will often create voids near where they had it taped. The water flows around and the tension on the ink breaks it apart. Rolling is pretty easy once you learn what to watch out for.
    NotSoFast said:
    The negative is that the seam often won't "sew itself up" where it meets on the bottom of the stock. Especially when the bottom is more flat. It will often create voids near where they had it taped. The water flows around and the tension on the ink breaks it apart. Rolling is pretty easy once you learn what to watch out for.
    Good stuff. I never thought about where the pattern would meet like that. I do have a link synthetic stock coming I will practice rolling with out film on the water. I am watching guys techniques and taking mental notes.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,651Member ✭✭✭✭
    There definitely is not one way to dip something. Find a way that works for you and use it. Alot of ppl like rolling , a lot like 50/50, alot like the ghost seam on guns. 
     Find a way that you are comfortable with where you get your best results and go from there
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Too bad they didn't show you the big void on the bottom of the hand grip....

And what the hell is up with no one using gloves anymore...can't afford a box from Harbor Freight but you can buy a cheap video camera and show everyone what a cheap boob you are on YouTube for not using a glove to keep your hands clean because you are too cheap to buy some?...

OK Rant off...
    Im with ya @K2Concepts , everyone has a buddy in the fire/medical field . They can get them by the truck loads.

Friend of mine is a firefighter/paramedic and he get me some that come about half way up my arm.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Sreynolds said:

Friend of mine is a firefighter/paramedic and he get me some that come about half way up my arm.

Not even going there...
    Not condoms @K2Concepts !!!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Well that took a turn lol!!!!
    @Seufert the conversation usually does. We have to do something to entertain ourselves around here...
    @Seufert if you go back and watch the video, at 25 seconds in the film voids out on the bottom of the pistol grip....

2nd thing is , if that action is ribbed on top... he trapped air all in it because of the flat angle he went in at...

3rd, I would never pull the trigger on my activator gun at 5 or 6 inches off the film.