price list

BEMOTORSPORTSBEMOTORSPORTS Posts: 178Member ✭✭
edited August 2017 in K2 Business Forums
so here is my new revised pricelist plz keep in mind this all starting prices. i want to know if they are fair and competitive?

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,729Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your wheel and motorcycle parts prices are way low
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    On the rims I would put a price per inch. I wouldnt do a 15 inch rim same price as a 20inch. I agree with looch there. Haven't done many bikes but don't look bad
  • BEMOTORSPORTSBEMOTORSPORTS Posts: 178Member ✭✭
    ok so what percentage do u feel they need to raised.
    @deviousdips i agree 75$ is my starting price for wheels 
    I did a pay scale by inch and that's if they are ready to paint and dip. If i gotta blast or scuff that's added on. But I do most of my pricing by you let me see the part I'll give ya a quote so I know what I'm getting into. It's hard to make a set list unless your doing production and u know what you're getting everytime
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    way cheap on the motorcycle stuff.

You have it listed as doing a bike (without a faring) at a mere $345.
    yea ik its hard i was tryin to.give my customers a base price to start with so they had atleast an idea. but what ya are sayibf scratch that idea and not do a price list? 
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,729Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inner fairing goes from $350 to $900 what @K2Concepts gets for a roadglide fairing 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I wouldn't touch a wheel for less than $200 each. There's no way I am dipping a wheel for less than double the price of dipping a Yeti cup.

Imagine what you would get paid per hour for a decent job elsewhere. Let's say $25 an hour for argument's sake. How long would it take you to blast, prime, paint, dip, possibly re-dip, rinse, clear, cut and buff a wheel? That amount of time is multiplied by the rate above. Also the time that you spent learning exactly what the customer wanted. Now figure in how much you need to cover all the materials involved in the job. Paint, sandpaper, film, tape masking paper, activator, clear coat, etc. All of it. Factor in a profit margin for all of these things. Now add in overhead items like rent, electric bill, tank price, compressor, etc. Does all of this fall into that $75 per wheel? Don't forget to figure for some actual profit so you can upgrade your equipment, fix your compressor when it breaks, etc.
    Feel out your area also. Call around to paint shops and get a quote to get a set of rims just painted black. Everyone's price list is gonna be different. Someone in California or New York is getting triple for the same job in the hills of West Virginia. I don't know where your from but see what a regular paint job would be on a Harley. Then add in everything else on top of that. 
    good advice @DeviousDips on my to do list for tomarrow and we are located in central pa
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    Prices seem a lil low all around. Shotgun rifle stocks we charge $125 paint dip clear. Definitely need to go up on motorcycle parts. We do inner outer fairings for $250-$300. Really all depends on what your time is worth.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,381Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I think u are a little low also on a few things.

With that said... doing custom work, I don't give a hard price on nothing until its in my hands! Take for instance a rifle stock, is it wood or plastic? What kind of plastic ? What shape is it in ?

So normally on that I tell the customer on the phone its gone be between 85 and 150 depending........

I just priced cerakoting a wood stock that was pretty beat up for a guy for a flat 100 dollars. He asked '' will I still see the dings in it afterwards''. I said well hell yeah unless u want me to sand it down and that will be another 100 or so . He was fine with that, but it might have been different if I gave him a price over the phone and didn't stick to it....

In the end this process is fun but u can sure underprice yourself right out of business !!
    edited August 2017
    thanks guys thats what i was afriad of bein low on prices i just wanna be competitive wit the pricing dont want scare a valuable cuatomer away with high prices but i also dont want to fail. Due to the fact my prices are to low. thats why i posted this so thank you guys for all ur input and i think im not gunna post an online price sheet. due to the fact of i need to see the product and condition before i can give u an accurate price on it. 
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    $125 for gun stock was just paint dip clear.

thanks guys thats what i was afriad of bein low on prices i just wanna be competitive wit the pricing dont want scare a valuable cuatomer away with high prices but i also dont want to fail. Due to the fact my prices are to low. thats why i posted this so thank you guys for all ur input and i think im not gunna post an online price sheet. due to the fact of i need to see the product and condition before i can give u an accurate price on it. 

When you post a price list online, all that does is let your competitors know what you charge and under bid you.
    Also like NotSoFast said it also let's your customers say well I seen online your price said this. It's best to figure how you wanna charge and make sure you see the jobs before you give then a price. If you wanna throw a price on your site put a shop minimum and then a charge by square inch or something of that nature
    edited August 2017
    yea how i decided to let everyone know i was gunna do prices is they show me the part i quote them the only hard price i put up were cups and game controler price thanks everyone for ur feedback!!! posibly saved me from making a big mistake and yes thats how im goin to base my prices is using the square in. excel sheet jim posted plus my price for paint and materials and time!
  • mks717mks717 Posts: 15Member
    And you also got to think about the other businesses you go too low you're going to be cutting everybody out eventually because the next guy is going to go even lower and then the next guy after dad's come and go lower it'll be like a domino effect and pretty soon we're all going to be dipping for **badword** so keep that in mind
  • dipdemondipdemon Posts: 109Member ✭✭✭
    I personally think you are about 20% lower then average .
    I used to underprice bad when I was dipping , something I did to help me not to do that was to breakdown to the customer each step in the process prep/prime/paint/dip/fine touchup/clearcoat also I would inform the customer how expensive adhesive promoters special paint cost etc, was and I would listen to myself telling them all this and would put more value on my work

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Or just assume you need to make $20 an hour at your "job". Then think about the actual time that this project will take you if you worked on it non-stop. From the time you walk into the shop, till the time you hand it to the customer and get paid. I am guessing alot of you guys are working for about $1 an hour when you figure it out. Granted, there is always some sacrifice to be made when starting out, but you got a LONG way to go to get profitable...
    I price jobs to be profitable. Unfortunately, that scares off a lot of customers. Fortunately, dipping is only a small fraction of what we do here and my days are always full, even without the dipping jobs. I work salary and I am not going to spend the whole weekend in the shop to make $20-50 profit after it's all said and done.
    edited January 9
    Thanx guys i have done away wit the pricelist idea cuzz i have realized has time went on. Every job is diff. And i do agree i was pricing stuff to  low. It was really hurting my profits 
  • speedlineMSspeedlineMS Posts: 5Member
    Thanks for post.. i also wonderd about pricing. This gives ne a good idea on price range. 
  • ImmortalImmortal Posts: 261Member ✭✭✭
    I have gone away from a price list on dipping. A few common items I have a set price on otherwise I have to see it first. My workload has decreased on the dipping the past year because I started charging to make money, crazy I know. But I make more profit and have more free time. I was tired today and shot a guy a price that was too low and am already kicking myself for it and haven't even started working on it yet.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    It happens...make the best of the situation and learn from it...probably won't be the last time...