Pricing — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricing

dswilkodswilko Posts: 5Member
I've looked at prices for hydro dipping and I don't get why the cost is so high I'm currently setting up a smallish hydro dipping and media blasting business eventually getting into powder coating how do you price you jobs up for example wheels?

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,142Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is a ton of work that goes into hydro dipping. Prep, paint, dip, clear, candies, flakes, cut n buff. I don't know what your time is worth but charge for it. 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It all comes down to how much effort you put in. I can tell you, rims take ALOT of abuse. If you are using aerosol primer, base and clear, you are going to have failures within weeks and be out of business shortly. The tools needed to do this right are expensive, and there are a hundred guys out there that claim to know what they are doing...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,702Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You'll understand in a few months. It's simply a case of "You don't know what you don't know" until you get further into running your business.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe

You'll understand in a few months. It's simply a case of "You don't know what you don't know" until you get further into running your business.

This...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,138Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Our shop also produces and installs vinyl graphics. Our "shop rate" for installs is $60 an hour. This pays myself and also contributes to the cost of the building, tools, materials, taxes, and about a hundred more things a company must pay for. You HAVE TO pay for these things through what you charge for your products and services. If I install 40 hours a week, then this rate equals $2400 a week. Not much when paying for my salary, a 5,000 sq ft building, electricity, dip tank, paint booth, tools, insurance, property tax, unemployment tax, and many more expenditures every month.

Call a local body shop and ask how much they would charge to blast and paint (well) a set of wheels. You will be doing that PLUS the dip part. So pretty much almost double what they tell you. It's not just "it takes 5 minutes to dunk it in the water so it shouldn't cost much" type of mentality. You will spend a hundred times the time it takes to dip a part in prepping it to be dipped and buffing the clear coat afterwards.
  • BEMOTORSPORTSBEMOTORSPORTS Posts: 172Member ✭✭
    its funny i found this post today. Seeming how i sat down last night an created a new price list and one this for sure with the price list i will put out witch will be posted on this forum later on tonight are just a starting cost for products due to the fact of what @notsofast brought up the overhead cost plus how much time goes in to prep work and painting some projects are less work due to condition they are brought in others u may need to spend more time on depending on how the product is brought to u. all these things must be cobsidered or u will find your self in a whole quite quickly.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 724Member ✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts hey is that Shane Medlin?
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,182Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    LOL
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 127Member ✭✭✭
    dswilko said:

I've looked at prices for hydro dipping and I don't get why the cost is so high I'm currently setting up a smallish hydro dipping and media blasting business eventually getting into powder coating how do you price you jobs up for example wheels?

After you have done several jobs and different types of products/parts you will understand why the costs are what they are. And frankly most of the time the costs are very fair or even a bargain for what the customer gets in the end product. Lots and lots of time spent prepping/cleaning/masking/jigging that people don't consider. It is not near as "quick and easy" as a 20-second Youtube clip makes it appear...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,138Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Forsi said:

dswilko said:

After you have done several jobs and different types of products/parts you will understand why the costs are what they are. And frankly most of the time the costs are very fair or even a bargain for what the customer gets in the end product. Lots and lots of time spent prepping/cleaning/masking/jigging that people don't consider. It is not near as "quick and easy" as a 20-second Youtube clip makes it appear...
    I know our sign shop wouldn't install graphics or a sign for what the hourly rate of dipping ends up being. We charge $60 an hour in-shop and $80 away. People are fine with those prices. They'd threaten to kill you if you charged $60 an hour plus materials to dip their Yeti tumbler or car dash parts.
  • libertyh20libertyh20 Posts: 14Member
    I Michael Jordan tumblers from afar into my tank. They go in stainless and come out prepped, primed, painted, dipped, names airbrushed, cleared and buffed. Today I threw 12 cups in there from 30' away. I am working on a patent for this magical dip tank contraption. due to the enormous costs of this prototype tank, I charge about $40-60 per throw.