MIND BLOWN! — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MIND BLOWN!

The more I poke around the forum the more ideas I come up with I was looking at a bunch of projects others have done and some of the sponsors sites its wild how many different applications there are . I am assuming this is where this thread belongs (general section) . So most of you guys do more then Hydrographics? ie body shops, or painters by trade? etc and also work with this type of product or are most of you doing dip projects as your bread and butter? just curious

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I work in a sign shop (vehicle graphics, wraps, signs, business cards, etc) but the dipping is very slow for us. Jim dipped more today than I have in the two years I have been doing this. I might have one paying job a month on average. Between us, it's fine with me. It's time consuming and I have plenty of "normal" work to do every day. We only do one-offs (no production runs) so the profit margin doesn't make it worth my time, really.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Hydrographics is our primary business. We added Cerakote and it's great for custom firearm work, but the production hydrographics is primary source of income. But my business was also started for a company who wanted a high volume of hydro work done. I had the demand, then started the business.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,190Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Just a hobby.. that I have about 30k invested in.

I have no real desire to do this full time.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It was always a hobby for us, we had full time jobs as well. We dip only for ourselves and friends now.
  • cadetgusvcadetgusv Posts: 46Member
    NotSoFast said:

I work in a sign shop (vehicle graphics, wraps, signs, business cards, etc) but the dipping is very slow for us. Jim dipped more today than I have in the two years I have been doing this. I might have one paying job a month on average. Between us, it's fine with me. It's time consuming and I have plenty of "normal" work to do every day. We only do one-offs (no production runs) so the profit margin doesn't make it worth my time, really.

This is what I figured from the very short time I have spent looking at things it seems to me if you already had a shop set up then it would be a great service that could be in addition to what ever was up and running

Hydrographics is our primary business. We added Cerakote and it's great for custom firearm work, but the production hydrographics is primary source of income. But my business was also started for a company who wanted a high volume of hydro work done. I had the demand, then started the business.

Your story I am sure is a rare one having the volume come to you. That must have been a real confidence booster knowing there would be a lot of work coming your way before you got into it . Nice! Thanks for the reply
    smedlin said:

Just a hobby.. that I have about 30k invested in.

I have no real desire to do this full time.

This is the rabbit hole I see myself going down :blush: I have a great full time job, its very safe and secure however it doesn't for fill a need I have. I need something that I can be passionate about I wouldn't care if it didn't become my career I am half way done with the current one I have . Thank you, at least I know I am not alone in wanting to drop a butt load of money into a hobby lol

It was always a hobby for us, we had full time jobs as well. We dip only for ourselves and friends now.

I can see myself opening a shop not a public store front type but perhaps a web and referral based business that could turn into something big that would require more attention. Perhaps it could be more like what you have going on, just a great hobby and service that's there if there's a need. For me the goal is not a need for a way to make a living I have that, its a need to do something that I can get behind and be proud of , if the ladder becomes the result then I would adjust to make it work that way . Thanks for your input !
    cadetgusv said:

I can see myself opening a shop not a public store front type but perhaps a web and referral based business that could turn into something big that would require more attention. Perhaps it could be more like what you have going on, just a great hobby and service that's there if there's a need. For me the goal is not a need for a way to make a living I have that, its a need to do something that I can get behind and be proud of , if the ladder becomes the result then I would adjust to make it work that way . Thanks for your input !

This is basically what my business model is.

I (usually) have fun doing it. Sometimes I want to throw things... usually after I've dipped it like 5 times and failed 5 times.

I do have a facebook business page, but all my work has been "word of mouth" referrals.

I'm a software engineer with a cushy job. I have no desire to quit.

My wife however, i would like HER to be able to quit her dead end job and do THIS type of stuff full time. She's been to every training class I have been to. She also loves "dipping". (she just did her first deer skull...)

Soo.. while I have invested right at 30k in my "garage shop", it's not just for me.. but for "us". Did that make sense?

----

Now.. 30k for a "hobby shop" is extreme. But.. I forget who here says it all the time.. "buy once, cry once". I didn't want to have to upgrade anything down the road...and I don not regret it. For a NOVICE, better equipment means more consistent results. I know myself well enough to know that the FIRST time a dip failed because I had sub-par filter systems, guns, whatever.. I would be pissed off and upgrade.

@K2Concepts Dude I am not gonna quote your reply but thank you. I have a very similar attitude towards life, I will my way to the top of what ever I do. I don't want to work corporate forever I truly give no f**ks about my career however I do it very well and break my back to get it done correctly so work ethic I have, what I don't is a passion. Other then knowing I do a great job I get no satisfaction from what I do, that said I can do it until I retire , but will I idk. I do know that I am good at anything I am interested in . Years ago I decided I was going to get in shape I was a fat slob and the doc was going to put me on meds to control bp etc. I decided then that I was going to get into shape and I dove in . This was 6 or 7 years ago and I am still at it in the best shape of my life 5'11 sub15% bf 225 and strong af. I have built a network of friends through the inter-web and referrals we all share support and techniques together and grow . I could easily turn this into the business I am looking for however I was given a lot of help to get to the point I am at for free, so for me to charge others looking to do what I did would be wrong. I give away what I've got to anyone wanting to learn b/c at one point I was them. This project is something I want to get behind as a business but I won't pressure myself to make it a successful business, it will become the monster on its own b/c that is the path my life is going to take or it won't b/c that is not what it was meant to be. I am not concerned about sinking my savings into a failure, I honestly don't believe I would be here if it wasn't meant to be. When I had this idea it just fit perfectly to what I felt was right. I have other Ideas that will be money makers but they aren't coming together like this idea is . Everything feels right, I am willing to spend the time and money it takes to do it right. I have a space in mind where I would like to set up I am doing the research it will take to find out if the space will work. If the space will work then next I will begin to learn more about the equipment and what will be best for the type of work I want to do . I want to get hands on training before I buy anything and its looking good for sept. I am trying to wiggle it into my schedule . Once all falls into place I will begin the set up and get to work dude. The rest is up to God by his grace it will grow or fail . I won't give up my Career until there's a need to. I currently work 40 hours volunteer 10 to 20 hours a week I could work 80 a week for a year plus with out it effecting my head however if there's a need for 80 hours a week most likely by then I will know its time to say good by to corporate and that will be more then just fine with me . I believe in myself, I believe I am here for as little or as much as I want, I control my thoughts and I control my future. I have no ego, God's path is what I walk I pray for guidance and here I am. I am blessed and anything I accomplish is all praise to my higher power .
    smedlin said:

cadetgusv said:

This is basically what my business model is.

I (usually) have fun doing it. Sometimes I want to throw things... usually after I've dipped it like 5 times and failed 5 times.

I do have a facebook business page, but all my work has been "word of mouth" referrals.

I'm a software engineer with a cushy job. I have no desire to quit.

My wife however, i would like HER to be able to quit her dead end job and do THIS type of stuff full time. She's been to every training class I have been to. She also loves "dipping". (she just did her first deer skull...)

Soo.. while I have invested right at 30k in my "garage shop", it's not just for me.. but for "us". Did that make sense?

----

Now.. 30k for a "hobby shop" is extreme. But.. I forget who here says it all the time.. "buy once, cry once". I didn't want to have to upgrade anything down the road...and I don not regret it. For a NOVICE, better equipment means more consistent results. I know myself well enough to know that the FIRST time a dip failed because I had sub-par filter systems, guns, whatever.. I would be pissed off and upgrade.

Well sir you raised the bar for me . 30k isn't a stretch if that's what it will take , however I will need to have a really good grip on the direction and process before I dump everything into it . I was hoping for more like 10k but if 30 is what it takes then 30 it will be. I am with you I like the best equipment to do the job the most efficiently
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    For this to be a profitable business for you, you need contracts. Walk-ins off the street will kill you with the "custom" aspect. If you are going to land contracts, you need equipment. Equipment that WON'T fail when you need it, and works the same EVERY time. There are HUNDREDS of variables to keep track of with your materials, your process has to eliminate additional ones where it can. @smedlin is correct $30,000 is a good estimate to start, but don't think that will be the end of it...
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,475Administrator El Jefe
    Yea...and he didn't even buy the best...(in my humble opinion)... :rofl:

Yea...and he didn't even buy the best...(in my humble opinion)... :rofl:

@K2Concepts is correct. In some area's I bought the best for my size shop.. other area's I bought "really good", but not the best.

And I still spent over 30K.

For this to be a profitable business for you, you need contracts. Walk-ins off the street will kill you with the "custom" aspect. If you are going to land contracts, you need equipment. Equipment that WON'T fail when you need it, and works the same EVERY time. There are HUNDREDS of variables to keep track of with your materials, your process has to eliminate additional ones where it can. @smedlin is correct $30,000 is a good estimate to start, but don't think that will be the end of it...</bloc

I am under the assumption that 30k would be to open the doors , I figure that that will be the tip of the iceberg going forward I appreciate the input. I would love some examples of "contract work" what type of business contracts this sort of work? Consider me a 5 year old learning to read, at this point I love the idea of the business but I know nothing about it. I will before I jump in I promise that.

High volume production. Not one or two pieces at a time. You need HUNDREDS at a time. Jim goes over this thoroughly in his training. If you are actually serious about this, I wouldn't recommend any other training. Everyone teaches you how to dip, but Jim also teaches you what you need to know to run the business... it also seems that you are a "5 year old" in that respect. The cost of the training should be the first money you spend in this case... (not a tank, not guns, not paint) otherwise the rest is wasted in my opinion.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    The vast majority of people (myself included) do not make a profit dipping unless they have a steady flow of production runs. What you have to charge for one-offs to be profitable will chase away most prospective customers.

Even with productions runs lined up, it takes years most of the time to turn a profit. Hell, I believe @MidOhioHydrographics said it was 3 years before he dipped his first part.

High volume production. Not one or two pieces at a time. You need HUNDREDS at a time. Jim goes over this thoroughly in his training. If you are actually serious about this, I wouldn't recommend any other training. Everyone teaches you how to dip, but Jim also teaches you what you need to know to run the business... it also seems that you are a "5 year old" in that respect. The cost of the training should be the first money you spend in this case... (not a tank, not guns, not paint) otherwise the rest is wasted in my opinion.

I am absolutely going to training I am trying to work out some time in Sept. for a class that has been recommended outside of Atlanta. I have 0 painting experience and it seems to me becoming a good painter will help you in turn become a better Dipper. At first I was considering just getting a painting cert for auto body however finding that there are some dipping/painting classes I am going this direction.

I understood what you meant when you said contract work . What I want to know is a example of a contract I am having a hard time picturing what company would need hundreds or items dipped. I would love a example of some past contracts you guys have had you can be vague i.e a helmet company contracted you to dip 300 of there bike helmets in a custom design. I am not looking to find new business I am trying to understand where the contracts may be. I assume that when a manufacture is producing a product they are doing there graphics themselves but then I am 5 and cutting teeth still so any help would be great!

thanks :blush: also would you mind linking me to the course your speaking of I would love to check that out too. I am going to go to as many training courses as possible until I feel I have a grip on what I am trying to get into . I am very serious about giving this a go its becoming more and more a vision by the day
    NotSoFast said:

The vast majority of people (myself included) do not make a profit dipping unless they have a steady flow of production runs. What you have to charge for one-offs to be profitable will chase away most prospective customers.

Even with productions runs lined up, it takes years most of the time to turn a profit. Hell, I believe @MidOhioHydrographics said it was 3 years before he dipped his first part.

A standard goal for any business model should be to break even by year 5. If you haven't recouped your money in 5 years and starting to head to black well then it may be time to re evaluate. The key in my op is to have enough cash flow to keep yourself a float, like pay your mortgage, feed your family etc. and pray that your new business can pay for itself or at least help. This is why I am willing to work two full time jobs if need be. I would never quit my career just to jump into the unknown . My current job is a pool I can see the bottom I know where the sides are its safe there's no undertow to drown me. This venture is the Atlantic though I can see the ocean and it looks ok I have no idea where it ends, there's sharks there's currents, freaking crabs, I cant see the bottom... you guys get it. I have the money to do the training and to set up a shop. Its extra its not my kids college fund, its not my retirement savings, its extra I put it aside for the last 10 years for something like this . If I go into this and fail its gone, but its already gone I haven't had it to spend other then on a venture I want to get into to see if I could be my own boss or at the least have something that I love to do . I didn't go to college, I am not privileged (well that's debatable) I have scrapped over the last ten years to be comfortable where I am at, and I want to scrap 10 more to be something I can be proud of. I need to keep growing so this is the direction I decided to grow. I am not half **badword** going at this I am going to do it right. If I have a shop with in a year I would be super excited but if I am not ready 2 years from now and I still feel this is the direction for me I will still be working towards the goal.
    edited July 2017
    cadetgusv said:

What I want to know is a example of a contract I am having a hard time picturing what company would need hundreds or items dipped. I would love a example of some past contracts you guys have had you can be vague i.e a helmet company contracted you to dip 300 of there bike helmets in a custom design.

Jim used to do Pelican cases, x-box controllers, and mud jugs
    cadetgusv said:

I assume that when a manufacture is producing a product they are doing there graphics themselves but then I am 5 and cutting teeth still so any help would be great!

Most manufacturers have no interest in decorating their own product. If you make water bottles, you make water bottles... you don't decorate them. If you offer flexibility (we can do "guy" "girl" and "kid" versions) and you can change that theme every month or two for no additional cost, that makes their product more marketable. Look around you, you would be amazed at the number of things that you can see that are decorated... especially vehicles (although some of those larger manufacturers have in house dipping)
    Post edited by WileECoyote on
    Now I get it and I am sure I will see more and more things dipped now that I am aware. thank you!