Total paint and Dip of a Big Dawg Chopper — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Total paint and Dip of a Big Dawg Chopper

smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,438Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

I've been contracted to dip the tins on a big dawg chopper.

This job (originally) was to dip with the existing paint job.

Below is a picture of this bike.

Over all, in good condition. I told him any big "dings" would still be there after it's dipped. He understood.

HOWEVER..

During shipping, the items were damaged. He's filed a claim on UPS..but regardless of claim, the job has now gone from simple scuff-intercoat-dip.. to a restore project.

The price of the job of course went WAY WAY up.

We can't find the paint code to the bike (big dawg does not record them). I've sent one of the small plastic side panels to BB for color matching.

Sooo....

My question now.. is what's the best way to do this?

Sand those area smooth, put some bondo-filler there... scuff everything, and do a full paint job? That sound right?

Comments

• versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 188Member ✭✭✭
    If every panel has some damage, or everything except a couple small ones, don't worry about matching the paint. Get it close or make it better. Most likely it is a tri coat, I so be prepared to tell the customer of a hefty paint bill, especially with a big learning curve ahead of you.

As far as the damage feather out the damaged area and put a good filler on and sand smooth, then use a good primer filler. Sand it up again and paint.

Good Luck!
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,438Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

If every panel has some damage, or everything except a couple small ones, don't worry about matching the paint. Get it close or make it better. Most likely it is a tri coat, I so be prepared to tell the customer of a hefty paint bill, especially with a big learning curve ahead of you.

The frame is painted the same color.. so going to try to match it. Or get close to it
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    I would make sure your customer checks with UPS and or insurance before you do anything to the bike.
    I have filed claims before if you don't jump through all their hoops they will reject the claim @smedlin

I would make sure your customer checks with UPS and or insurance before you do anything to the bike.
    I have filed claims before if you don't jump through all their hoops they will reject the claim @smedlin

I've actually had the parts for a few weeks. I've been sitting on them while he took care of the insurance thing...
    Smart man 
    @smedlin Now is the time to look into automotive paint. I would check into PPG paints, a lot of custom manufactured bikes are painted with PPG. It can take a lot of time trying to match paint, countless mixes and sprayouts to get them exact. And cameras do not get close enough for tri coats and a lot of custom mixed paint.

Remember if you are dipping, putting stripes, graphics, etc. that all takes away the paint matching exact. Really good painters and Auto Body people are illusionists(deceive the human eye to think it matches).
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,406Member ✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin have you asked @onehitwonder I think he has done color matches before
    edited June 2017
    Unless your painting the the whole bike your never going to get a perfect match, even if you had the exact same paint because of fading, 
    If you have all the external parts you should be okay
    Thing is you have some pretty good edge cuts and breakout that's going to be hard to feather out. 
    Bad thing about feathering bikes is the lack of area. It's reasonably easy to feather a door panel on a car because of all the space you have to work with, 
    But 6 inches that I don't know 
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,567Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck brother and yes @onehitwonder does match paint he did it for me on my indian motorcycle.  I dont do bodywork i send it out to my friends shop to much dust in the shop lol
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 321Member ✭✭✭
    When i have touch up or spot to fix on motorcycle i go to carquest and have them match it. Normally pretty spot on. Filler paint intercoat dip
    looch said:

Good luck brother and yes @onehitwonder does match paint he did it for me on my indian motorcycle.  I dont do bodywork i send it out to my friends shop to much dust in the shop lol

I sent one of the parts to Big Brains to be color matched. @Dinnetta_gobigbrain and them are only a handful of hours drive away from me...
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe

@smedlin Now is the time to look into automotive paint. I would check into PPG paints, a lot of custom manufactured bikes are painted with PPG. It can take a lot of time trying to match paint, countless mixes and sprayouts to get them exact. And cameras do not get close enough for tri coats and a lot of custom mixed paint.

Remember if you are dipping, putting stripes, graphics, etc. that all takes away the paint matching exact. Really good painters and Auto Body people are illusionists(deceive the human eye to think it matches).

This is sound advice...and yes I would send it out to a body shop and have them do the work...right down to the paint...and then start where you began...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I am confused as to Big Dog's inability to tell you the color. I am pretty sure this comes up on about 75% of the bikes they make due to accidents, or aftermarket add ons... Not saying you didn't ask, their answer sounds pretty sketch

Big Dog must have took notes from the CVO's, no codes and they couldn't even match the paint! Real good business motos.
    The owner of the bike called Big Dawg personally.

He sent me an email response from Big Dawg, below is part of it.

"Its impossible to say for sure. We don’t have any VIN history on the bikes. I suspect Bright Candy Red though"

Soo.. it would seem that no, Big Dawg does not keep track of what color each bike is painted.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    edited June 2017
    Man, even a simple "work order" off a car has a place for the VIN...I hate to call them "rinky dink" but man that is some "rinky dink" crap right there brother...

I mean what keeps them from sending the wrong bike to someone besides the VIN?...and once you pull the bike down to the frame for customization? What is there to keep track of the bike frame if NOT for the VIN?...

The more I hear about this the more it sounds like some lack of professional courtesy on the customer service side...like they don't want to spend the time to dig up a old invoice...which is just plain lazy...

Too many red flags going up right now for me...hell even a idiot like me teaches that it all starts with an invoice...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @smedlin Yeah, I didnt mean to say that you or the owner weren't trying, only that Big Dog was being lazy in helping you out.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,567Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thats part of the reason so many of those bike companies are out of business on top of crappy workmanship 
     BTW , for those that have done it, what's the best filler to use?
    I use "Red Cap" for small filling, I forget who makes it. Bondo for big spots, and Aqualac for smoothing out a little... although I hear good things about drywall mud.

Glazing and Spot Putty may be what you are after here.

Evercoat or Smart brand. Both work very good and have minimal pinholes when applied correctly.