Flame treatment or heat gun? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flame treatment or heat gun?

Will a Hot air gun provide the same results (Not a Hair Drier) It gets hot enough, was wondering if part of the treatment was a burn off or CO diffusion.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,022Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Don't remember the temp they need to get too, but it has to be a VERY high heat gun. 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,161Member, Moderator El Moderator
    It would need to get very hot and heat a specific spot very quickly. You want instant heat while moving to prevent melting of the plastic.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,679Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd stick with flame, but if it's a smaller part, you could use a heat gun, but as @NotSoFast says, be careful
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    Okay thanks 

Kind of from the sound of it there is some CO chemical reaction, Its a little trick that I had learned in doing clears and epoxy finishes in wood working, Carbon Monoxide molecules are some sticky buggers and will attach to other gasses. When you are doing thick glass coats or embedding finishes you use a torch with fast passes to pull bubbles out.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,946Administrator El Jefe
    The flame treatment we have in our training booklet was written by 3M and I would have to say that if an electric heat gun would work instead? I am POSITIVE that 3M would have put that in the outline instead of a propane flame torch...

Just saying...
    Got it,
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 295Member ✭✭✭
    Nope heat won't do it it needs the plasma of the flame for the chemical reaction. 3m has a write up on the process but I cannot find it.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,280Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have a industrial type heat gun at my shop and I tried it a while back.......... No , it don't work !