Spectra Chrome pretty neat stuff — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spectra Chrome pretty neat stuff

willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
http://www.spectrachrome.com/spectragrafix.html

Hefty Price tag to get started would about double your starting cost

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Spectra Chrome is legit. I know equipment and materials are expensive, and you have to have a very clean environment (think a dust nib shows up bad on clear coat?). I watched the guys at Riddell Sports spray a helmet with it. They do all of the college sports teams helmets and I had the pleasure of visiting their facility to see their setup. We helped them and Jake from @pahydrographics dip 110 helmets in some custom @studebaker film for the Polynesian Bowl. The Spectra Chrome setup was incredible! I hope Jake chimes in with his photos/videos from the process.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Found my pics of the helmet
  • pahydrographicspahydrographics Posts: 122Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Joe I'll send you a video I don't know how to post a video. Spectra chrome is the best in the business hands down. They also do all the monster trucks.
    Here ya go! In action

• willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    WOW!!!
    if this stuff dries as hard as they claim it does I could see how a dust nib would be a major problem

if this stuff dries as hard as they claim it does I could see how a dust nib would be a major problem

Well... the thing is that if it lands in the wet chrome? You can't polish it out. It's a complete redo. That helmet in the photo could be smudged if touched. There is a topcoat that has to be applied also.
    But its not chrome its actual silver right? or at least that was one of the metal compounds. True Chrome is not silver it is done with chromium oxide baths and electrolysis (some nasty stuff)
    Now you're asking questions above my knowledge. LOL! Jake @pahydrographics would probably know more. He was actually at the spectra chrome booth at SEMA last year. Giving people the lowdown!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,161Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You know @MidOhioHydrographics and @pahydrographics, the only thing worse than looking at you two in person, is you two in a convex mirror...
  • LICCLICC Posts: 175Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I just went to Spectra Chrome and went through the training and purchased my kit yesterday. The process uses actual silver metal to create the chrome effect. Pretty easy system to use but like Joe said, the key is prep and the surface has to stay very clean while the base coat is drying. 
    Post edited by LICC on
  • LICCLICC Posts: 175Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    We did this horseshoe crab in class. Yes, it's a dried out crab that washed up on the beach. 

Post edited by K2Concepts on
    Bitter irony... @LICC I wish you were close by so I could see some more of your work..... AND DARN!!! sure glad you aren't because I would hate to have to compete with that kind of awe-inspiring art!  

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,581Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics that helmet was slick. That was pretty awesome how they had it spinning like that to spray it. @LICC that's awesome. Can't wait to see some off the stuff u put out with it. Your Work Is Already Killer This Is Gonna Make It Over The Top 
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,703Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish we had come up with that system! There are a few chrome guys out there (cosmic, etc.) - amazing stuff
  • BEMOTORSPORTSBEMOTORSPORTS Posts: 178Member ✭✭
    this stuff is awesome
  • MKralMKral Posts: 83Member ✭✭
    edited April 20
    Cool idea on the Horseshoe Crab. We have the HV-T System and have played with it a lot. @MidOhioHydrographics your right a dust bunny on the base really messes things up. Also a little water in your lines is an issue, ask me how I know :anguished:
    We bought this system before we ever got into hydro and we always wanted to use the two together. Spectra Chrome now has a new top coat that's more durable. I don't really know if it is different from their regular top coat or not. Have any of you dipped directly to the 311 Top Coat? We have not done it yet but it's on the list to try.
    I did these for a local guy for his big a$$ truck. These sucked! Deep steel wheels and the factory finish sucked!! We took them down to bare metal and I epoxy primed them and went from there.
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 829Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    edited April 20
    Auto air colors has a great chrome spray out now and looks killer under candies. It is able to be dipped to also without losing its luster.