Calcutta Outdoors Travel mugs and Coolers > Market Demand Question — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Calcutta Outdoors Travel mugs and Coolers > Market Demand Question

willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
Okay so here is the deal, I can get some really good prices and even better bulk purchase prices for the Calcutta line of products through my distributor my question though is what is the market demand for Calcutta
Now almost anyone who fishes or has anything to do with sporting goods in Florida knows who Calcutta is but I am not so sure about the rest of the country.
With Calcutta like Yeti part of the price of the product is the name, So Like Yeti the retail price is a little higher than that of Ozark Trail. But still quite a bit cheaper than Yeti.
The Calcutta 20 ounce retails at about $10.00
The Yeti 20 ounce retails at about $22.00
The Ozark Trail 20 ounce Retails at about $8.00

I have been thinking about seeing if some others would want to go into a COOP buy to get a bulk purchase but before I do I wanted to see if there would even be any call to do so.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,668Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I am in Wisconsin, granted I am not into fishing, but I have never heard of Calcutta. I HAVE heard of Yeti, Ozark Trail, RTIC, and a few others. A word of warning, if you are going to try to make a business out of dipping cups, you are about 2-3 years too late. The market is SICK with guys cutting each others throats over orders of 5 cups.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,143Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah unless you can land production runs of cups from companies. Doing 1 off cups their is a good chance someone else is doing it for 20 bucks and that's with the the cup included
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited June 2017
    On their website the regular stainless version is $12.99... The Realtree MAX-5 Camo version? $17.99... someone is decorating those in actual branded Realtree camo for very, very cheap with the top and bottom stainless rims, AND leaving the Calcutta logo stainless... It can't be done in China using Realtree "under the radar" on that level or there would be lawsuits. Remember there are royalties per cup being paid to Realtree for the use of their camo... I have no idea how they can do it for that. It may be a vinyl wrap of some sort? No idea. But to the customer, a camo cup is what they want and what they're getting for only $5 more.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,138Member, Moderator El Moderator

On their website the regular stainless version is $12.99... The Realtree MAX-5 Camo version? $17.99... someone is decorating those in actual branded Realtree camo for very, very cheap with the top and bottom stainless rims, AND leaving the Calcutta logo stainless... It can't be done in China using Realtree "under the radar" on that level or there would be lawsuits. Remember there are royalties per cup being paid to Realtree for the use of their camo... I have no idea how they can do it for that. It may be a vinyl wrap of some sort? No idea. But to the customer, a camo cup is what they want and what they're getting for only $5 more.

I'd eat a stainless cup before I dipped one for $5.
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah I hear you, but a factory made and a custom are two different things right? sure anybody can have the exact same mug, but one dipped in a pattern that you cannot get from Calcutta?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,138Member, Moderator El Moderator

Yeah I hear you, but a factory made and a custom are two different things right? sure anybody can have the exact same mug, but one dipped in a pattern that you cannot get from Calcutta?

True, but the majority of people seem to want camo. And if Calcutta offers camo, then they won't need you to dip theirs. Plus there's the undercutting thing. If the dipped factory ones only cost $5 more than the plain ones, you are going to have to explain to the dummies (I mean "masses") why yours is $50. It may be worth your time to sit and explain the concept of custom art to them, but it's not to me.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Yep. Exactly. And THAT is why you have to be a salesman. I do production, and was simply noting how insane those prices are. If they provide the cup, a simple non-royalty camo/matte clear w/ a stainless logo or name, stainless rings top and bottom would be $30 for a custom job at my shop. I just can't see how they do it for $5 more consumer price.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,668Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

True, but you are going after a much smaller market as well. And the people that want a "Custom Cup" want a specific pattern, and a specific color, with a certain logo that you have to get vinyl cut...

You will go insane trying to gather up all the components you need, and due to minimum order quantities, will be stuck with patterns no one else will ever want.

Just advice, do with it what you will.
    @WileECoyote .. If I didn't want feed back I wouldn't have posted a question your cool. 15 years driving a truck it takes a lot to ruffle my feathers. Its why I asked you folks you have been in this market a lot longer than I have
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,717Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a postscript to this discussion, the Calcutta camo cups are dye sublimated, not hydrorgraphics. Just like the Realtree Camo RTIC cups.

Yep. Exactly. And THAT is why you have to be a salesman. I do production, and was simply noting how insane those prices are. If they provide the cup, a simple non-royalty camo/matte clear w/ a stainless logo or name, stainless rings top and bottom would be $30 for a custom job at my shop. I just can't see how they do it for $5 more consumer price.
    Because they are owned by one of the largest outdoor sporting goods distributors in the United States.
    Normally they sell for higher but I think they are trying to blitz some other companies
    They are also trying to get more wide spread like I said Calcutta was originally an outback Florida outfitter for fishing supplies.
    When they were bought out it was expended to include a wider range of the outdoors and this company is working on getting the name out

edited June 2017
    Whatever the case if the market is so flooded with el-cheapo its not worth the expense, time and effort The profit margin on these are about 34% for small orders and 45 % on bulk unaltered.
    P.S @MidOhioHydrographics @WileECoyote @studebaker ... Thanks for the input like I said honest feedback doesn't offend me, even negative feedback when applied to help me learn.
    I don't know what your first name is WileE, but I have a feeling that's why you took that avatar ... Always chasing that @#$@ road runner and finding yourself tied to a powder keg about to blowup, Relax brother I'm a listening