Thermochromic Paint

JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭
Hi

Has anyone used this type of paint or additive? How long does it last? Where did you get it from?

Cheers

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I think @kansashydro had some in Ohio if I am not mistaken
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,651Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Dinnetta_gobigbrain also carries it. 
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭
    Is it any good? Spoken to a few reps and they say they trailed some and it stopped working after 2 months so the didn't bother to stock it
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Jeremy said:

Is it any good? Spoken to a few reps and they say they trailed some and it stopped working after 2 months so the didn't bother to stock it

I've heard this same thing. They have a "life" much like glow in the dark paints. I believe Jason @onehitwonder commented at some point about this.
  • TraumaChaserTraumaChaser Posts: 45Member
    What's the life span of glow in the dark paints?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator

What's the life span of glow in the dark paints?

It depends on the specific paints, the quality of the clear used and other factors, I'm sure. But, when someone pays you to use it on their item, they will expect it to last forever. You couldn't paint someone's car red and tell them that in a year or so it's going to turn pink and there's nothing you can do about it. I doubt many rational people would be ok with a color changing part not changing color over time. The same with glow in the dark stuff.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    This is how I view the people that want Thermocromatic, Glow In The Dark, Harlequin metalics, and LumiLor

Logical and rational are not the words I would have used to describe...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    We tested thermochromic about two years ago, and it only lasts through a few color shifts. The same with neons and glow in the dark. They are great to begin with but will gradually decrease over time
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    edited June 2017

We tested thermochromic about two years ago, and it only lasts through a few color shifts. The same with neons and glow in the dark. They are great to begin with but will gradually decrease over time

Similar to flourescent vinyl. It's nice and bright for a couple of months then it fades fast.
    Post edited by WileECoyote on
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    NotSoFast said:

Similar to flourescent vinyl. It's nice and bright for a couple of months then it fades fast.

Yep, and then the customer starts calling you for a redo.....

That's why we don't sell any of these paints

Always good advice with new products...

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Stick with the basics...the rest is "fluff" and not worth your time...
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys