Film Pattern images and Mass produced Films — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Film Pattern images and Mass produced Films

willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
Is there some sort of open source picture library where many of these images are coming from or is it a matter of simply copying images willy nilly ... I am a new kid to the block so I have no idea what is acceptable and what is not but
Searching through many of the hydrographic supplier sites including custom printing sites I notice something that kind of has me scratching my head, many of the same images or patterns are being used (I am not pointing fingers at any single store just in general) the pattern might be named something different but they are the exact same. Now I can see patterns like carbon fiber weaves and such as being the same. But I am talking about many of the fire patterns and skull patterns and many more. I always thought when it comes to artwork in general it always came with a no trespassing sign when it came to plagiarism.

And one other question if I may, I have spoken with a few of the site sponsors that prints custom film and they are some good folk, but if they are carrying many of the same patterns then what sets them apart in printing and film? Please understand I am not being disrespectful at all, this is an honest question. Are all these films and inks created equal? is there something in quality that sets them apart from one and another?

Thank you
Willie

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,529Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Film suppliers order from China. Some have their own designs also but they will be labeled as such. There are copyrighted patterns like Realtree, Mossy oak, Kryptek, MultiCam, etc but even those have been knocked off in China and distributed over here without the branding.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,626Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @willie14228 My rhetorical response question would be... Of all the hundreds of patterns printed in China and sold by the hundreds of vendors that sell hydrographic supplies, what sets them apart from each other? Price, Service, Free Shipping, Large selection, Free training, large customer base and the loyalty of the same, personal responsiveness on the phone, ease of use of the website ordering process... which are the most important things when you shop for a film?

The ideal way to get a full answer to you question about the quality of custom printed films is to order from ALL the vendors and make the comparison yourself. They are all good... It's a matter of getting a feel for which vendor takes care of you in the way you want.

We have four sponsors of this forum that will be glad to sell you custom printed film:

Allen at FractalCamo.com
    Brittany at LiquidConcepts.com
    John at BlazingCoatings.com
    Dinetta at GoBigBrain.com
    and coming soon Damien (ddgardner)... (I hope)

And to answer your other question, yes, there is a library of seamless patterns that you can have printed... or print yourself! ShutterStock.com

• willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    Thank You @studebaker , @MidOhioHydrographics
    Allen from the get go you have been upright and honest with me and I do not forget that kind of service.... Thank you for that!

As a custom printer yourself you would know. I am not trying to ask for trade secrets but is there a difference in the films used in custom printers from those that are purchased prepackaged as it were? And just as importantly is there sub quality films (Custom or otherwise) that I need to avoid) I can understand this forums reservations of bad mouthing any company, service, or product. But those that have been in the business for a while will know who or what to avoid where as a new kid like myself well that a different story all together.
    If I understand the custom films are still on paper backing and the printing process is different than that of mass produced films. Quality wise do these films offer the same vibrancy and durability are they more susceptible to humidity or heat in storage? Are the inks more susceptible to fading due to U.V or heat after application?
    I am very sorry for the bombardment of questions and thank you in advance for your patience in answering what you can.
    I have no interest in printing them myself NONE! I have too many irons in the fire as it is. But like the care and attention you have shown for customer service and response I too share the same in my own field so I like to make sure that what I am selling my customer is quality service and material.

Thanks again
    Willie
    @willie14228 There are two different kinds of custom film, yes. But there are both good quality, I wouldn't be afraid to use either one.

I do know for a certain FACT that my inks are way more UV resistant than the inks on Chinese printed films. Color vibrancy is right there with custom film but a bad dip can dimish the color appearance from too much hydration time. (the ink droplets spread apart and let the white base coat show through.)

Humidity infiltration is BIG problem with any custom film, it MUST be stored in its plastic tube with the silica gel packet when not it use. It can't be laying out on the table until you get around to using it..... That is one drawback. Heat is definitely not a problem with custom film, it helps keep out the humidity.
    @studebaker yeah humidity is killing me, I do not even store my film in the same room as my water tank because of that. I swear this time of the year we are in a constant cycle rain one week 90deg 80% humidity the next. I got to where when I buy a roll of film the first thing is do is run a line of tape on my leading edge to keep it from curling on me as soon as I unroll it.
    I built a "cool kiln" for some wood processing using a 14 inch drain pipe, dehumidifier, and sensor for a buddy of mine I think I will have to do one of my own. It worked pretty slick and wasn't all that much to build.
    Wise choice to make a special storage "box" for your film. I remember when I used to stick weld, I kept my electrodes in an old broken refrigerator that I had rigged to keep the 60W light bulb on all the time, just to keep humidity at bay. It worked EXTREMELY well. That might be a suggestion for dippers in humid areas to repurpose that old refrigerator for a dehumidified film storage box.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,220Administrator El Jefe
    Any "generic" artwork has been copied and produced in mass by the Asian printers....yes the artwork could be the same or very similar but the quality can vary greatly....so just because the artwork is identical? Does not mean the film is identical...So stick with the forum sponsors for any films as if there is ever a problem? You can get it resolved...
    Thanks