Does activator go bad? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does activator go bad?

As the title states just wondering ? I have returned some unused hydrovator back into container and wondering if that could affect it. I have had activator for about 3 mths.

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe
    No it does not go bad...
  • TraumaChaserTraumaChaser Posts: 42Member
    edited July 6

No it does not go bad...

Jim you leave your activator in you gun right? How long can you keep activator in there? I always pour mine back into the container and clean my gun out of fear it will slim up or harden in the gun. Am I being to cautious?
    Post edited by TraumaChaser on
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 814Member ✭✭✭
    @TraumaChaser I have never dumped out or cleaned my activator gun. I've been using it for almost a year now and it runs fine. I just shake it up a little right before I start and good to go
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe

No it does not go bad...

Jim you leave your activator in you gun right? How long can you keep activator in there? I aslways poor mine back into the container and clean my gun out of fear it will slim up or harden in the gun. Am I being to cautious?
    I have never dumped my activator...it sits in the gun forever...
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 57Member
    Thanks guys. Reason I ask is because I did some testing on some speedshapes. Tested to see if i could dip without base coat and it didn't work out. Then provided a base coat and dipped and adhesion problems I think. Film peeled off in sections. Water temp was 90, 60 sec soak time. I may not have let the film sit long enough after spraying activator as it was pulling tape towards speed shape when dipping.  Colours were vibrant with no fading. I enjoy dipping and just started about 2 mths ago, I know I need to take the training and really want to as I am just learning now through trial n error and with the assistance of this great group .
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Sounds under activated. But pics would be needed to confirm.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 939Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    used standard "ABS speed shapes" that you buy from a hydrographics source? Those don't need a base coat..

Training.. else your just tossing money away.

So this is what I dipped today. The bond seems better then before but the circle specs you can see on the 2, wasn't as bad on skulls with metallic base. I'm dipping at 88, 60 sec soak time . 1.7 tip using hydrovator. Dipping shape approx 15 secs after spraying. I look at film for glossy look.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You're still under activated @pbliz. Getting close though!
    Thanks @MidOhioHydrographics . I did 2 passes over the talon film and thought that may have been too much, so I did 1 pass over the graffiti film.
    You're doing yourself a disservice by changing up patterns so often. All films don't act alike. This is where reading your film comes into play. Set up a light so that it's at a low angle and can be reflected on the surface of the water. Make sure there is no texture to the film (generally) and it's glassy looking, then dip. Then read your part after it's rinsed. Those are under activated (jagged holes that look like the film flaked off). So next time add a little more. You'll get there! It's not an easy process.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,361Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    ...and as we have said before... You are trying to sneak up on putting too much activator (a problem you haven't hit yet) and the whole time you are underactivating the hell out of it. There is a WIDE area between just right and too much... do 6 passes, use tic-tac-toe, open up your fluid needle, turn down the air... but get way more activator on that film... and only change one variable at a time like @MidOhioHydrographics said.
    Thanks for your suggestions guys. @MidOhioHydrographics I grabbed a light ( weak old eyes I guess) and this dip worked out excellent ( for me). I used this film before and closely watched for the texture to go away, glassy look. 
    Looks great! Well done, sir!

Looks great! Well done, sir!

Thank You @MidOhioHydrographics . I'm doing this for a hobby and kicking around some things for friends and family. I enjoy new challenges and learning new things which has brought me into this forum. Lots of room for improvement but it will come, and training to follow if I get more serious.