Drop away dams — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drop away dams

willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
I have been asked about doing some longhorn skulls and been debating on the best way of performing the dip. Right now everything is speculation but I like engaging challenges and you guys have already in the very short time I have come aboard helped me, @K2Concepts I have been burning your youtube channel up, thanks for the great vids.
anyway back on topic
One of the issues that kind of popped up in my mind is that the horns will be much wider than the actual dip surface but low enough on the head that I will need to get past any dam during the dip. I don't want to use tape because it would try to wrap the film around the horns (assumption) so I have come up with a plan for drop-away dams,
The basic concept is easy, take a 1x1or 2x2 square tube stock measure and cut it 1/2 inch longer than the width of your tank, then cut that in half. you will then want to cut your center pieces at a very slight angle maybe 3 deg, rejoin the pieces with a hinge at the longest side.
You can then test the fit of the dam across your tank and trim if necessary
the goal your shooting for is to be able to run your dam across the tank and with slight pull up locks the bar in because of the slight bevel that was cut in the bottom of the pivot point.
With the two dams installed the width needed for the film to cover the skull properly, as you dip down and come to the point the horns hit the dams they will "break" at the center and drop out of the way allowing you to complete the dip.

Orrrr maybe I just way over engineered this, Ideas?

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,850Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, you can use floating pool noodle dams that will push under the water when the horns come in contact with the dam.... KISS
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    I thought the noodles would melt actually
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Or masking tape. That's what we use. Just barely lay it onto the wet dam or barely stick it to the very edge of a dry dam.
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,680Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @willie14228 you can make a floating dam out of 1/2 pvc pipe and elbows float it in your tank lay film in center when the horns hit the dam it will sink
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Orrrr maybe I just way over engineered this, Ideas?

Yep... you are. Pool noodles work just fine, and will last for alot longer than the money invested compared to what you were thinking.
    =) thanks guys
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,763Administrator El Jefe
    @willie14228 I forgot I shot 4 videos using break away dams...here is an example and I added all 4 to the video section...

@K2Concepts , Have you ever dipped an image for example @studebaker has some sunset patterns with a barn focal, so with a skull you would want to center the focal in the center of the skull with the rest of the pattern flowing around and through the remainder.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @willie14228 the other problem is distortion. Singular images distort around complex shapes. Some times the image can be purposely distorted to "correct" this issue after dip, but it wont ever be perfect, and if its too complex, you are just wasting your time. The image you are referring too went on to a milk can, VERY predictable how it will turn out. A skull? Not a chance in hell.
    This is the Discussion that @WileECoyote was referring to.... http://k2forums.com/discussion/10253/
    @studebaker @WileECoyote , that jug looked awesome, wonder if he had to have a backbrace after dipping that sucker, those things are not lite at all.
    The distortion was the reason I wanted to dip the focal (barn) in the center of the skull it is a fairly flat area and a full grown bull offers a lot of space. Even if I need to mask off the first image and redip the remaining part of the skull in some other pattern to frame it. I could do so. But I am counting my chicks before the eggs hatch I will get some measurements and a few more cow skulls (pretty much free for the taking) under my belt before tackling that beast.
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 189Member ✭✭✭
    I'm sure @studebaker could shrink down the picture size to fit better on the skull.
    Yes, it's possible to do, but trust me... You are gonna want to get a few hundred dips under your belt before you try that.
    Hey @WileECoyote , I'm going to light that fuse on the rocket of yours =) Didn't you listen to @K2Concepts we don't dip, we perform hydrographic processing :) See oh master Yoda, I do listen
    Sorry couldn't resist
    Yes, micro camo is becoming a "big" thing. I can indeed print any size image.
    @willie14228 you can get the barn print on a cow skull there is a lot of prep work on the skull and you will want to have Allan make it in an oval here is a buffalo skull I did for a guy
    @Dallen No doubt it can be done. How long have you been doing this now?... The point I am making is that its not easy. Aside from the positioning and stretch, new guys are still fighting with the rest of the process. Paint, activation, clear, airbrushing and equipment.

I know everybody is good enough to start out with complex parts right away... that's why this forum is here... right?
    @WileECoyote you are right about people starting out this one took three time to get in the right spot this whole process is not easy to start out with and a lot get discouraged and quite I was hoping to inspire everyone to think outside the box
    I personally LOVE thinking outside the box! New sources of income for everybody....