Hey

phantom3phantom3 Posts: 28Member
Great forum, i am from australia and I've been interested in hydrographic for some time, i had been meaning to start doing my own stuff but never had the time or money, well i now have the time and a bit of money, any help you guys can give me would be great!

The price of the tanks are a bit much i could build my own but don't have the know how any advice people?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome! Some guys have built very nice tanks. Check out the DIY section. Remember your electrical skills need to be very sound and very safe. You're hooking 20-40 amps (or more) of power to a tank of water where you'll be placing your hands. Be safe!
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,731Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forum
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome.
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 688Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Welcome to the forum! Might want to look for used equipment, try the for sale section.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,443Administrator El Jefe
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for joining!...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,711Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
  • phantom3phantom3 Posts: 28Member

Welcome! Some guys have built very nice tanks. Check out the DIY section. Remember your electrical skills need to be very sound and very safe. You're hooking 20-40 amps (or more) of power to a tank of water where you'll be placing your hands. Be safe!

yeah i don't have these skills, i may have to buy a tank outright, as far as my electrical knowledge goes i have fitting some cameras and done minor work soldering with drones

Welcome to the forum! Might want to look for used equipment, try the for sale section.

Yeah i see most of you guys are yanks though, i live in australia, I'm very keen though some of the work i have seen on these forums and youtube is sensational
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,749Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
    so i have heard people talking about different phase power, how can i tell what phase power i have in my shed?
    ok the fuse to the garage is 16A where do i stand?
  • HydrographicsNLHydrographicsNL Posts: 85Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Guess 230 Volt
    3,6 Kw

16 (Amp) x 230 (Volt) = 3680 Watt, max power use before the fuse reFuse to work
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @phantom3 you are going to need an electrician to look at your situation. I wouldn't be brave enough to guess what the power situation is in someone's garage halfway around the world. Typically we run 4500 w heaters in our tanks because this is common in the US. If you have lights and ANYTHING else running in that garage (air compressor), you are going to be underpowered to supply a tank that uses 2 of them.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,288Member, Moderator El Moderator

@phantom3 you are going to need an electrician to look at your situation. I wouldn't be brave enough to guess what the power situation is in someone's garage halfway around the world. Typically we run 4500 w heaters in our tanks because this is common in the US. If you have lights and ANYTHING else running in that garage (air compressor), you are going to be underpowered to supply a tank that uses 2 of them.

Thus one of the many reasons why even a hobby setup will cost many thousands of dollars.
    my house is very close to my shed also running an extension chord for something would be an option

also i live in australia, in my shed is where i want to do this, you guys might call it a workshop? but it doesn't get that cold i think ill have more trouble keeping the water under 30 celsius in summer never mind heating it, so I'm not sure ill need 4000 w of heating
    NotSoFast said:

Thus one of the many reasons why even a hobby setup will cost many thousands of dollars.
    I have money, I never planned to do this on a shoe string budget
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @phantom3 that will be a very heavy extension cord. You're going to want a large permanent run to your workshop. If you're doing the whole Process in there (painting, dipping, etc) I would just have someone put in a 100A service breaker box and run your various other items from that.

@phantom3 that will be a very heavy extension cord. You're going to want a large permanent run to your workshop. If you're doing the whole Process in there (painting, dipping, etc) I would just have someone put in a 100A service breaker box and run your various other items from that.

Yeah thats an option the workshop is practically connected to the house