Today's lesson — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's lesson

bogiebogie Posts: 49Member ✭✭
edited June 13 in Tips and Techniques
I learned I can scuff a white powder coated tumbler I bought at Academy Sports and dip it. Same price as stainless and saves time. Next to test powder coat clear over it.
Post edited by bogie on

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe
    Nice...
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,552Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post @bogie Knowing that a fully cured powder coated cup can be dipped is a big help to the forum members! PLEASE, post your results with the clear powder coated cup when you get it done. I have a few customers that had great results with an epoxy polyurethane hybrid powder used in a tribo gun.

Here is a picture of my Hardee's Cup with a white tribo powder coat base, and a clear powder coat top coat.

• bogiebogie Posts: 49Member ✭✭
    @studebaker , That's also a water slide decal correct? I just got a great deal on a sublimation printer, people have been wanting me to put pics of their show cars on tumblers.
    @bogie That's actually a hydrographic print... It was an experiment that went right. Sublimation works on Polyurethane powder. You just need to find a big enough heat clamp to fit a 30 oz. tumbler. Everything on the market seems to be for smaller cups. The gentlemen in South Florida that was building Sublimation heat clamps for Yeti tumblers got cancer and quit right after he got his patent. Bummer....
    @studebaker I know this guy in Jersey through the silk screen industry, he does all sublimation equipment and supplies. They have wraps for everything. Here is a link to the 30oz wrap.

http://www.sublimation101.com/heat-presses/Sublimation-Wraps/30oz WRAP
    Thank you @bogie That link was a big help for one of my customers! That will be perfect for his needs. He is experimenting with Laser transfer onto powder coated cups. And that wrap will be perfect for his oven cured experiments. So far, his experiments seem to be working!
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 804Member ✭✭✭
    After dipping over a powder coat base could you top it with a 2k clear?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe

@Archer0545 Yes...that's actually what most sane people do...
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 804Member ✭✭✭
    So buying the white powdercoat tumblers for the same price at Walmart and just scuff/dip and then clear.....I like it!

@Archer0545 Yes...that's actually what most sane people do...
    @K2Concepts You lost me at sane.
    Here is one that was bought powder coated white that I scuffed, dipped and powder coated clear over. The one I started this post with was attacked by a vicious feline, we weren't on good terms to begin with, but now. .. anyways here is a second one
    Perfection has been achieved.... Thank you for posting the clear powder coat over hydrographics! We needed to see that.
  • MissDDGMissDDG Posts: 7Member
    bogie said:

@studebaker I know this guy in Jersey through the silk screen industry, he does all sublimation equipment and supplies. They have wraps for everything. Here is a link to the 30oz wrap.

http://www.sublimation101.com/heat-presses/Sublimation-Wraps/30oz WRAP

This is very informtive. Thanks for sharing it!
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    Wow I would have though the heat would effect the dip thanks for the post @bogie

P.S
    I have a black lab that loves cats as much as this guy loves bunny rabbits =) .... cant really comment on the condition of the poor fur balls after he gets done loving on them though