Big paint makers — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big paint makers

ok guys, After being at the Remote training with everyone and playing with all the paints I realized I don't know crap lol. I learned a lot from all of you. but I will have a few questions about water and solvent based paints.

Which paints is a good starting point for
plastics that flex( 4 wheelers/ dirt bike)
Tumblers
Gun Stocks
direct to metal for automotive ( rims )
Price point

Aqualac ( from Brutal Hydrographics )
OHW
Kansas DTP
Nanochem
Big brain

I have used all of the ones listed (I think), mostly at the training and I am impressed with all of them. and please list any others that are worth trying out.

Also Thanks to all the guys at the Ohio Remote, was a great time.
@MidOhioHydrographics @K2Concepts @WileECoyote

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I'm a big fan of Aqualac.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 943Member ✭✭✭
    I have been using OHW with good results
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,663Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus, we're the only company that actually MAKES our paint from scratch
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Well, unfortunately we are not distributors for Aqualac anymore, but it is available from @pahydrographics. If you remember, Jim made it a point to say "use what works for you, and you can get legally in your area". Most of those paints will work great, for any of those applications, but some may be a more logical choice under certain conditions... and that will simply come down to your knowledge base. So my advice is, try them all, and learn what makes them great, and what their fail points are, cause they all have some.

We were distributors, but we also used Aqualac for 95% of our projects.

It was unfortunate that @HydroSolutions sent a package that didn't show up in time, as we would have loved to show their paint off as well, but I would give them a shot too.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,663Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    OHW will go direct to every material besides hdpe, which needs flame treating, and as we manufacture it, we can sell at wholesale prices direct to the public
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,571Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ive used all of them as well i like @onehitwonder for alot of stuff plus customer support is great how many people can you call and have them help setup your activator gun via text or color match something
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Honestly any of the paints you mentioned are fantastic and you can be successful with any one of them. Test them all and find one you prefer.

I went with Aqualac because it's water based and very safe (if you have a good booth and respirator, this is not really a problem), covers incredibly well (much better than any other paint I tested by a large percentage), and the price was below anything else by a large margin in bulk. I found out later that Prime coatings Aqualac is actually the base recommended by Realtree and Mossy Oak as well (to be clear, Realtree also recommends US Paint). I wouldn't go direct to bare steel with the most common version (35 series), and definitely test adhesion on plastics. Some will require an adhesion promoter. We've found great adhesion direct to ABS and Nylon and go direct to blasted aluminum, titanium, stainless, etc.

Test, Test, Test... That's my recommendation. I don't sell Aqualac or any other paint. It's just what I've grown to love. That being said, I still use OHW very often as well. I've used DTP, US Paint, NanoChem, and others with fantastic results.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,413Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of HydroSolutions it has great coverage and being waterbased as mentioned above very safe. Also a big fan of OHW this paint sticks to dang near anything so there's nothing I feel I can't get great coverage with both of these in stock
  • HydroSolutionsHydroSolutions Posts: 64Member ✭✭✭

Well, unfortunately we are not distributors for Aqualac anymore, but it is available from @pahydrographics. If you remember, Jim made it a point to say "use what works for you, and you can get legally in your area". Most of those paints will work great, for any of those applications, but some may be a more logical choice under certain conditions... and that will simply come down to your knowledge base. So my advice is, try them all, and learn what makes them great, and what their fail points are, cause they all have some.

We were distributors, but we also used Aqualac for 95% of our projects.

It was unfortunate that @HydroSolutions sent a package that didn't show up in time, as we would have loved to show their paint off as well, but I would give them a shot too.

Yes very sad it did not make it in time! We are currently in the works of getting a distributor in the US, and you should be hearing more about that very shortly! That should clear up the border issues we've been having, and make it easier for everyone to get!

With it being waterborne it is very safe, and easy to use, and has great coverage. It is a sealant, primer, adhesion promotor and base coat all in one.

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,763Administrator El Jefe
    @HydroSolutions Big fan of Hydro Solutions also...Jenn is the customer service that all companies should strive to achieve...but yes I have and continue to use OHW, DTP, LCHP, Dip Bite...

Use what you can legally buy and safely use...THAT IS THE CRITERIA!!!!...the rest will fall in line...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You are gonna find a need for nearly every paint under the sun at some point. Learn to use them now, and you will be much better prepared for when you have a problem you can't fix with the one you are "comfortable" with
    edited May 2017
    If you don't mind me asking (I have put screen names to a few of the faces) but I am stuck on if I had talked to you at the remote?
  • sengland1988sengland1988 Posts: 46Member
    Yes I'm Stephen England, with SNJ Hydrographics. I bought paint from your trunk, you already sold out of the midgets.
  • sengland1988sengland1988 Posts: 46Member
    Looks like I need to go shop for paint from everyone lol.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,571Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ah the truck sales at the remote lol
  • PowderRiverHydroPowderRiverHydro Posts: 38Member ✭✭
    I see Jim mentioned dip bite, we have been using quite a bit of this stuff and are really happy with it. We really like the price, that is what drove us to use it...
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,850Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur about the Dip Bite paint... Excellent stuff.
    @sengland1988 awesome! By the way we got a new shipment in...