Tank material — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tank material

Hi,
is aluminium suitable for dip tank I would think so but thought best to ask before buildind.

Cheers Trev.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It will work, but you have to use thicker gauge or more bends on the side to make sure it doesn't bow. And you have to tig weld it, so that limits guys from using it due to cost and availability.
  • HavinagoHavinago Posts: 10Member

It will work, but you have to use thicker gauge or more bends on the side to make sure it doesn't bow. And you have to tig weld it, so that limits guys from using it due to cost and availability.

I was going to use 2mm and use off cuts folded for capping and 50mm square tube on the outside around the tank twice for support and a couple on the bottom welding is no problem my brother is doing all the welding side of things.
    And thank you for your reply.

Cheers Trev.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Keep in mind, bends in the material will deflect less than a tube welded on the outside. And making the tank is really only about half of the process. There is still the electrical, plumbing, and overall design. I know it's different in the rest of the world, but just because you CAN have it welded, doesn't mean you are going to have a cheap, or functional tank when you are done. But I don't know your situation over there, so it's just friendly advice right now.
    I will look into getting some bends in the sheets as for electrics I have no need as my pump is outside connected to water storage only have to plumb into that will have hot and cold manual valves on tank.
    The hot water is supplied through gas water heater outside as soon as you turn hot or cold tap the pump comes on activated by the water flow.
    I may need one pump if I choose to recycle water in tank but not sure how long one can use the same tank water for.

Cheers Trev.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We have used the same water in the tank for weeks and we run heavy production. I would look into recirculating before I waste the water using fresh water each time you flush the surface. All pro tanks recirculate.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,219Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have built 3 aluminum tanks , it will oxidize so get ready for that. The oxidization is like a sore........ so don't keep scratching at it. Clean it with water and that's good enough.

Aluminum is hell to weld. All cuts must be clean cuts, no using grinders and such or it wont weld properly !!

With that said...... Im building a stainless tank now because I have access to a very nice fab shop! Will I save any money with the orders and time away from my shop????? NOPE !!

The sponsors on here sale some really nice turn key tanks man...... save the headache if u can afford it !!
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,413Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely weld alum no matter what it is cut with just have to make sure it's clean after the cut. I cut fuel tanks in half daily from semi trucks with a cutoff wheel and extend or shorten. TIG weld would be a must though. Would not try to mig weld alum for a tank 
    My brother will be doing the welding its his trade building alloy truck trailers and tippers he knows his stuff.
    We discussed a pump today so will be going that way now as for buying anything to do with dipping here is rich so for now we will build its just a hobby for now in saying that if things snowball then maybe look into a professional built tank.
    I am curious if there is some paint/coating that could be sprayed in tank to protect the alloy that wont be effected by the activator.

Cheers Trev.