Training — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Training

HomeTownHydroHomeTownHydro Posts: 90Member, Business Ninja
Hey everybody, does anybody know about Big Brian's training in Louisiana?

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,433Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    What do you want to know about it?

Do it, it's worth it.
  • HomeTownHydroHomeTownHydro Posts: 90Member, Business Ninja
    where is it at? How do I get In touch with Big Brian?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,402Member ✭✭✭✭
    @HomeTownHydro put the @ before their name and it will alert them. @BigBrainGraphics
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    edited May 2017
    www.gobigbrain.com
    @Dinnetta_gobigbrain
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,923Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It's worth it. I don't know the cost at all, but I can tell you it's worth it. Training with a quality company is one of the best investments you can make if you want this to be profitable.
    The wife and i did the full 3 day training course a few months ago.

Do it. If your thinking you should do it.. do it.
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 284Member ✭✭✭
    They are located in Shreveport highly recommended. It was the best investment I made
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,856Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @smedlin you are in a unique situation to compare the 2 trainings. I am going to be very interested to hear the differences. We by NO means want to bad mouth anyone's program. (Except the ones that suck... Those are fair game) but will be interested to hear if you feel anything is lacking in @K2Concepts compared to @BigBrainGraphics @Dinnetta_gobigbrain I am sure both companies could benefit.
    It will be interesting.

I feel it's going to be two totally different things. The training at BB was 3 days of 1 on 1.

Which is what the wife and I needed.. we had never even held a paint gun before.

From what I know of the remotes (since it hasn't started yet), is it's more of a classroom environment.. The advantage is that there will be many "masters" to learn from. But.. less 1 on 1.

I think I'm hitting "things" at the perfect timing. Did the 3 day training at BB, came back, spent a few months actually "doing it", moving on past tumblers to helmets, hard hats, jet ski parts, ect... gaining experience in the entire process.

Now, we are going to the remote, where I'll be able to pick the minds of experts in the industry.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,923Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @smedlin I actually think the way you're doing it is hugely beneficial. I remember when I trained at Liquid Print before I knew anything, I felt like I was so inexperienced I didn't even know what to ask. A couple years later I trained with Jim at my shop during one of the remotes and I learned so much more because I had a more in-depth understanding of the process. I could ask more pointed questions and get specific answers. There is going to be a ton of knowledge at this remote. I can't wait!
    I agree with multiple training I have trained at both Liquid concepts in the beginning and Big brain polished me off. I will definably hit a remote training one day. If I did it all over I would do it the same way just sooner. Everyone has a different style I think its good to learn from multiple trainers ad incorporate what works for you.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,856Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I hate to say it @Trouble... This may be the last remote ever... It was a struggle to fill this class

I hate to say it @Trouble... This may be the last remote ever... It was a struggle to fill this class

Hopefully you guys will do it again some day and I can work it in in my schedule.
  • nwflemingnwfleming Posts: 26Member
    Man I hope you guys do it in Ohio again...
    Whenever @smedlin gets settled I hope he will give his impressions.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,565Member ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe when @K2Concepts gets back and settled in he can send a survey to the attendees and see what they thought of the remote training 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    looch said:

Maybe when @K2Concepts gets back and settled in he can send a survey to the attendees and see what they thought of the remote training 

Probably not... :lol:
    Yeah... no one wants to look over the drunk texts they sent out last night, and no one needs to hear their impression of those @$$clowns from Wisconsin...

Whenever @smedlin gets settled I hope he will give his impressions.

I have mixed opinions on it. Randi and I spent about an hour talking to Jim Sat night, and he asked that same question.

It's not fair to compare the remote training to the Big Brain training. It's apples and oranges.

This was 3 days of a classroom environment, with what? About 30 total students? BB was 3 days of one-on-one with Sean and Dinette.

At first I did not like the "open classroom-go where you want" layout. But after awhile, it grew on me. It allowed me to flow from area to area whenever I wanted to.

I learned a lot watching Trevor de-nib (or was it de-buff? ). I've been hand wet sanding nibs and orange peel, then using a small buffer (similar to what he was using) to polish the part. Seeing Trevor use that little orbital air sander was really nice. I'll have to get one.

Suggestion though, next time let the students use it on something also. That would have been nice.

Cody (Jim's son) helped both Randi and I rolling cups. We have been rolling them using a pool noodle, and putting the "small" end of the cup into water first.. this was causing a tendency to have an angle in the seam. Cody pointed that out, and how putting the "big end" in first, not only would us help "see" the seam, but help in the water "flow".. going from big end to small. That will also help me on "bigger" items.. thinking about how the multiple angle dips should probably flow "down" and not "up". That was a good one.

I didn't learn anything in the paint booth. I'm past speed shapes and tumblers. I actually ended up helping some of the students painting and clear coating.

Randi really enjoyed when one of the guys broke out his air brush and showed her the basics. That was the highlight for her.

That new paint that BB is coming out with is wild. Expensive, but wild. I can see them going on tumblers, but nothing "large". It's just to expensive. Was nice seeing and playing with them first hand. I can see customers wanting that on cups.

We both really enjoyed the business seminar Sunday morning. Specially Randi. Really good information. Jim's speech on that helped both of our business goals.

It was nice seeing Joe's shop and comparing the layout to BB's layout.

I'd like to go to Cali one day and see Jim's layout.

(and Jim's mom)

And of course.. actually meeting people. Getting to actually meet Jim, Joe (midOhio), Trevor (WileECoyto), Brian (Looch), DeviousDips, Liberty, and all the others who were there. That was really nice.

Was it worth it? Considering there was 2 of us, so double the cost of most things.. yea, it was still worth it. Randi and I both learned things and improved our technique.

I'm a firm believer in "investing wisely". If your committed enough to seek out paid training your probably going to be committed enough to learn this business and profit from it.
    Thank you for that review @smedlin ...this was the first time we ever had that many different companies demonstrating that many products...and being without my son Nico definitely hamstrung me to an extent...but over all I was extremely pleased with how it went...I think it was one of the best if not THE best training we have pulled off...
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,565Member ✭✭✭✭
    I liked it finally put names to faces like @smedlin and @DeviousDips and them two angry bastards from Wisconsin lol. Plus got to meet some great people to talk to once we all get back home and going again 
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,402Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agree 100% it's like I know who I'm talking too now. By the way the ANI mini shoots clear great. Anybody looking for an affordable clear gun. Hit Jim up highly recommended 
    Angry bastards? @brutal_1 and I?... Ok, yeah, I get that...
    @smedlin when I got to Ohio, Joe had a project that they wanted to get out the door so I used it as the tutorial. I did leave it there the rest of the weekend though for that reason. Sorry it seemed I was bogarting my toys.
    I did see quite a few trainees over there using your tools many times over the three days.

I did see quite a few trainees over there using your tools many times over the three days.

i saw (and used) the polisher. i didn't see the orbital sander thingy. That was cool little tool. I learned a lot of little tricks watching Trevor use it.
    edited May 2017
    smedlin said:

i saw (and used) the polisher. i didn't see the orbital sander thingy. That was cool little tool. I learned a lot of little tricks watching Trevor use it.

Well crap... Sorry for that! I wish you would have asked Trevor or myself. I have a 1/2" nib sander that I would have been happy to let you use! I apologize, Shane.

I think this may be a good supportive argument for having 3-4 "assigned groups" that move station to station throughout the 3 days. Maybe only for the first two days, then leave the last day open for doing whatever individuals want. But I would definitely leave it relaxed so that nobody is going to be forced to stay in their groups. One group came from an auto repair shop and could have taught the clear/painting section themselves, so forcing them into the booth would have been counterproductive. In the future this may be the way to go to prevent people from missing out on certain things.
    Yeah, we have mentioned that a few times, more structured scheduling. The problem is, we don't get any practice runs at this. The day students show up is go time, and like @MidOhioHydrographics mentioned, the background is so varied it would be tough to enforce any structure at all. Not only do some guys already know some of the related processes, some guys just don't care about them (either due to narrowed focus, or possibly just shortsightedness) that is the benefit to "training for life".
    Was the orbital air sander that trevor was using the same one that Jim sells on his website?

@WileECoyote , those 'sticker' pads you showed me, is that these? (that come with the sander Jim sells..)

* 100 - 1" Trizact Sanding Discs (P2500 grit)

@smedlin Yes...yes they are the same...I will bring in some more from my supplier if you are thinking about ordering one...