Chrome — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrome

BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 84Member ✭✭✭
Anyone have any tip for clear coating over chrome?

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It is kinda defeating the intended purpose. And chrome is not a good surface to bite too, so you have to scuff it, and that defeats the purpose of chrome, and the look.... and chrome is pretty stable, so there is no need to clear it...
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,722Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adhesion Promoter? Maybe.....
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Adhesion Promoter? Maybe.....

Does nothing. The solvents in the AP need something to bite too. Steel, stainless, aluminum and the like are unaffected by it.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adpro is designed to change the surface tension of the part - won't affect chrome
  • BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 84Member ✭✭✭

It is kinda defeating the intended purpose. And chrome is not a good surface to bite too, so you have to scuff it, and that defeats the purpose of chrome, and the look.... and chrome is pretty stable, so there is no need to clear it...

this is the reason I was wanting to clear over chrome...to preserve the paint job

Looks kinda dull for chrome. You sure that isn't polished aluminum? might have a clear coat already over it.
    My apologies, yes it is in fact polished aluminium. How do I preserve the airbrush though? 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Is there as clear coat over the airbrush? If not, you might have to apply one before starting the rest of the process.
    No, I airbrushed the image onto the piece
    I would have blasted it first, then cleared it. Then airbrushed it, then cleared it again. Now you are going to have to scuff VERY carefully right up next to it and then bury the whole thing in clear. And without scuffing under the airbrush, how do you know THAT is going to stick well?
    I used an air eraser (mini airbrush type sand blaster) to etch the suface where the eagle is. Will scuffing the surface around it show through after it's cleared? Will it show scratches? Obviously if I get too crazy with it, it will but small swirls like from a Scotch-Brite pad will be okay?
    If you blasted it, then it will have a "pattern" to it. If you touch it with anything else, its going to disrupt that... and it will stick out like a sore thumb. If you clear over it all, it will be consistent, and the base will show through a bit, but it will be fine.