activator leaking out of hvlp?? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

activator leaking out of hvlp??

Hey guys.  So I have used two different guns now and the activator keeps leaking out of the tip.  The first was a p.o.s. gun from harbor freight so I figured it was just low quality.  Now I'm using a blue point "snap-on" gun running a 1.4 tip and the same thing.  Do you guys empty your guns after use or am I just missing something? 

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,571Member ✭✭✭✭
    Use a gun designed for this and it shouldn't leak. Paint guns are made for paint which is thicker than activator 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,947Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I had a Devilbiss Finish Line FLG4 do this sometimes. I've never had a problem from my Devilbiss GPI and it has activator in it constantly. Never emptied.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Yeah. My GPi hasn't leaked a drop and has been full for over a year and a half. As watery as activator is, it may be too thin to not leak in some guns. Or you might be unlucky and have a bit or trash in it. Have you tried cleaning it well?
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,303Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @rebelskinsmt - if it's leaking from your tip, tighten the packing nut EVER SO SLIGHTLY until it stops or very close to stops. But, do a slight adjustment and then leave it for a bit to see if it still leaks. Then repeat as needed. If it starts leaking from the packing nut then it's too tight and needs to be backed off a bit. Had that with my Air Gunsa and this is what they told me and it worked
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,767Administrator El Jefe

Hey guys.  So I have used two different guns now and the activator keeps leaking out of the tip.  The first was a p.o.s. gun from harbor freight so I figured it was just low quality.  Now I'm using a blue point "snap-on" gun running a 1.4 tip and the same thing.  Do you guys empty your guns after use or am I just missing something? 

Well if that ain't a rip off of a Starting Line? Man, I don't know what is...yea probably your packing nut...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,663Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tap the end of you needle into the tip lightly with a hammer - that usually fixes a tip leak
  • rebelskinsmtrebelskinsmt Posts: 15Member
    Update to all.  The gun was leaking outta the tip so I didn't want to mess with the packing nut but #onehitwonder was spot on with the advice about tapping the tip lightly with a hammer.  No leaks so far.  Thank you all for the great advice and OHW I owe you so next order of paint is coming from you guys!
  • rebelskinsmtrebelskinsmt Posts: 15Member
    Whoops use a # instead of @ sorry still new to forums lol.  @onehitwonder
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,663Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!!!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,767Administrator El Jefe

Tap the end of you needle into the tip lightly with a hammer - that usually fixes a tip leak

Nice tip...no pun intended...
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 802Member ✭✭✭
    Go for a GPI when you can afford it! It's a great investment!
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 768Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    YES ! on the Gpi gun well worth the money
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 170Member ✭✭
    I myself have been struggling with a leaking gun using activator. Cleaned, tightened, loosened packing nut. I think the last adjustment of 1/16 turn may have fixed it. Seriously thinking of getting Devilbiss gpi and use other gun for clear or base. Guys running the GPI, I see reference to 2-5lbs pressure, which is 10psi?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,947Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @pbliz psi = lbs per square inch. So 2-5lbs is the same as 2-5psi. We run ours around 8-10 usually. Whatever works for you. That gun is amazing and a great investment.
    I run my GPi at 9psi. Doesn't cause waves in the film and doesn't throw up a cloud of activator over spray.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,417Member ✭✭✭✭
    Love the gpi and I use to run at 10 but lately been running at around 6 because I have no hood over my tank
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,303Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, pricing the GPi last couple days. Making the investment in one for sure!!
    IceMaster said:

Yup, pricing the GPi last couple days. Making the investment in one for sure!!

It's the single most important upgrade we have made in improving our activation consistency.