Fisheye in Cerakote — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fisheye in Cerakote

MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
So today this happened...

A little background, then I'll explain the process of how we narrowed down the culprit, but we are still unsure of the exact cause.

We have a SIG 1911 we are Cerakoting Gloss Black. Did the frame and slide last week, and the guy wanted it "extra glossy" so I tried various polishing compounds on the slide to give it more shine, but it just didn't work. So today we blasted it down to recoat. Same bottle of Cerakote, same hardener, same gun, and we had fisheyes all over the slide. Now the testing comes.... using an ANI 0.8.

--- Test 1: clean the ANI gun, remix Cerakote, clean the part better (much better), try again...
--- Result: Fisheyes on the part

--- Test 2: Spray a speed shape with what's still in the ANI gun (bare speed shape cleaned with isopropyl)
--- Result: Fisheyes on the speed shape

--- Test 3: Clean the ANI gun in new thinner direct from a new 5 gallon bucket and in a new paint cup. Mix more gloss black Cerakote, try a different airline, another new clean speed shape

--- Test 3: New gun, LPH 80, thoroughly cleaned, more gloss black Cerakote,

--- Test 4: Original ANI Gun, OHW Brite Green on a new clean speed shape
--- Result: NO Fisheyes

--- Test 5: Clean original ANI gun, Different Cerakote color (same hardener)
--- Result: No Fisheyes

--- Final test: Clean original ANI gun, remix Gloss Black after thorough mixing (just in case)
--- Result: the fisheye breakout you see in the photo above

So... we narrowed it down to that one bottle of Cerakote Gloss Black being contaminated! We just used the exact bottle last week with perfect results. No idea of the ultimate cause.

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,407Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dam thats alot of testing and time spent to track that down. How did it get contaminated?
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 939Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    wow.. that's some serious eyes.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,361Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    looch said:
    Dam thats alot of testing and time spent to track that down. How did it get contaminated?
    Actually, that is NOTHING for testing... That could be done in a good solid day. The reason I know so much about fisheyes?... I tracked an outbreak down that lasted from November till April for 2 years in a row. To say it cost my company a million probably doesn't touch it. THIS is why you test one thing at a time, THIS is why you isolate IMEDIETLY. Good job in tracking down the problem Joe.

And sometimes paint can be contaminated from the factory, or some put a lid back on that got "dirty". You may never know what happened, but at least it looks like you found it.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited May 3
    Yeah I'm sure the testing could have been more thorough. There were some instances where we changed 2 things at once, and we are also lucky we were able to isolate some things quickly. Like both the airlines to the booth for example. We also had a guy spraying Matte clear in the booth and had been painting/clearing all day. So I was fairly certain the air was ok. This process took place from about 2-5:00pm yesterday. Not bad.

As far as the contaminant within the Gloss Black paint? Absolutely no idea how it happened. It's mixed w a hardener so leftover paint wasn't added back into the bottle. It's mixed in small quantities (in a graduated cylinder on a gram scale). But the lid could have definitely been the culprit. Who knows. At least we can get it out of the shop now.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe
    Thank you for the thread Joe...those things will make you question your sanity...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,539Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dirty fingers on the cap I'm guessing- very rare however, thank goodness
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, I have no idea. David is the one that sprays/mixes Cerakote. He's usually solid w/ his techniques. But it had to be something and he was the only one to use it. It's a mystery we will probably never completely solve.
    KFC
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,169Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Joe !!!! Theres this guy on the forum that's been doing cerakote for a long time ya know ????? hint hint !!!lol

had the same thing happen with safety orange. I knew I was going at it right ....... Called cerakote and they sent another lot number to me overnight with no questions and tested the lot that I had. Two days later called back and said it was in fact contaminated and they were destroying that lot..
    Nice! I have a call in to them. They were checking this lot also. I'll let you know what they say.
    Did u meet a guy named camron at the training? @MidOhioHydrographics
    Not that I can remember. I'm horrible with names. I remember Tom, Remington, maybe a Daniel and a Ryan... not 100% on those last two.
    Oh and the new bottle is already here. Hopefully it's all good!
    Ill bet it is......

Those fish eyes appeared immediately right??? And was that H series ?? Im assuming it might have been C since its on a speed shape unless u were just playing/testing
    Yes, it's H series. Just using a clean speed shape as a test substrate. We just threw it away after. And yes, appearing immediately.
    I would like to have that lot # that messed up on ya if u don't mind ?
    edited May 4
    Yep. It's H-109 Gloss Black Lot #0708, it's a pint container if that matters to you.
    yes and thanks a bunch bud
    Just sprayed with the new bottle. No issues.
    .......and people want to start their own paint companies.....
    It's just mixing chemicals... how hard could it be? Saw a guy on YouTube do it in a bucket outside.
    edited May 5
    Cerakote also confirmed their samples of the same lot are fine. Had to be on my end. I think David added WD40 to give the Cerakote even more lubrication properties.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 814Member ✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics or @Sreynolds when you cerakote do you clear then bake or are you baking the paint? Just curious have never followed this process
    It's a bake on coating. No clear/topcoat required.