Best way to scuff clear coat before applying graphics — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to scuff clear coat before applying graphics

k2motorsportsk2motorsports Posts: 58Member
edited April 2017 in Clear Coat Information
Hey guys, just wondering what the best way to prep parts that I already have clear coat on before applying the vinyl graphics, I want to clear over the top of our kart graphics after I put them on

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,190Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    You already have it clear coat, and now you want to put some vinyl graphics on there. .yes?

Can't you just put them on over the current clear?

You WILL probably need to scuff the current clear, using something like a red scotch pad first, if that is what your asking.
  • k2motorsportsk2motorsports Posts: 58Member
    @smedlin yes the parts are dipped and cleared, I now want to put the vinyl graphics on and clear over that
    scuff it, apply vinyl, re-clear.
    so, a red scotch brite pad is the best way to scuff?
    yea.

one of the true "pros" should chime in though

(but yea, when I'm shooting clear over "old" clear, I just scuff the old with a red pad..)
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep. Scuff as it may be out of your recoat window. Apply the vinyl after scuffing so you don't have unscuffed edges near the decal. and then lay 3 coats of clear over the top. Sanding between the 2nd and 3rd coat to remove the raise in the decal.
    Thanks @WileECoyote what's the best thing to use for scuffing, a red scotch pad as mentioned above?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, as long as the surface is already pretty smooth. If it needs flattening, use some 500 grit and plenty of water
  • dirtbagdavdirtbagdav Posts: 89Member
    I really like reading all of @WileECoyote post.  This guy is incredibly knowledgable and helpful.  We need a sticky thread (like a journal) with all of this guys advice. 

sounds great, thanks again @WileECoyote I did get a few minor runs on one part, was trying to use a gunsa 1.5, seemed to work ok after cutting the fluid back, but think I'm going to order up a 1.3 for clear coating
    @WileECoyote also, after scuffing, is the recoat window open for ever, or is there a time limit on it
    If it is scuffed, that eliminates the "recoat window". Recoatability indicates how long the chemical bond in the paint (or clear) that is already on the part, remains viable to add an additional coat and will adhere. Scuffing abrades the surface of the material already on the part, and allows the new material to for a mechanical bond. This stays "open" as long as there are scratches on the part... but it's always best to do it right before you paint.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Also remember to degrease the surface before scuffing as to not grind any impurities into the surface.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,476Administrator El Jefe
    NotSoFast said:

Also remember to degrease the surface before scuffing as to not grind any impurities into the surface.

This...
    Great advice as always guys, thanks!!!