Clearcoat finish rough and grainy — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clearcoat finish rough and grainy

hey guys I just coated this 240sx wing in carbon fiber for a friend. I usually get pretty consistent results after spraying in my open garage I try to keep the dust down. Clear seemed to be laying pretty wet and flat. After a second look I realize that the finish is super grainy and rough. What can cause this? I'm using sata mini jet 1.0 tip. Wanda clearcoat 2k (it's a sikkens economy brand) I have had good luck with this clearcoat over the years. Pressure is at 25-30psi with trigger pulled. I have never had this issue. I'm baffled.... what could this be? Dry spray? Too much pressure? Dirty gun? On a side note I try to keep my guns as clean as possible it was t spitting or anything weird. What is my next step, should I said with 2000 grit until
l it's smooth then respraying another coat of clear? Do you think it can be wet sanded and buffed?. Any help is appreciated thanks  

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,567Member ✭✭✭✭
    Temperature could change the way its flows slow down your passes and wet sand and give it another coat
  • fisherman302fisherman302 Posts: 87Member
    edited April 2017
    Okay you think around 2000 grit would be a good start and then another coat of clear? And how long should I wait before sanding and recoat? 
    @looch
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Rough it up with thousand if it is out of its recoatability window. Then hit it again and spray a bit wetter. Then let that dry, and hit it with 500 and a block to flatten it. And hit it again with once nice wet coat and then buff
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,932Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Looks like dry spray, but hard to tell. I would block w something to knock down the roughness and profile for the next coat, then spray another couple coats, like Trevor said. Just be careful not to sand through. I personally have a problem with that, so I spray two wet coats, then just scuff w scotch brite, and spray two more, wet sand w 600-800, then flow coat, denib/polish.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,663Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a bigger tip and spray wetter and slower - go with a 1.4

You can get away with 600 grit with Wanda clear
    Okay thanks guys. So I sanded through the clear and slightly knicked the print. Arg. Back to square one. Having said that I sanded with 400 grit. Do I have to go down past the dip back into the base coat inorder to spray another round of ohw or can I spray the ohw over the carbon fiber print as long as the whole part is saded with 400? Here's a picture. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,932Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep. Same thing that happens to me. Gotta go slow. Since you've sanded w 400, just paint and redip
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That's why i suggested laying another coat down first. Being that you sprayed too dry in the first place you were running the danger of doing that pretty easily. Also why i suggested using 1000. When you are "knocking down high spots" there is no need for you to sand as completely as you did here. 90% of the surface scuffed is good enough
    @MidOhioHydrographics yeah I'm decent at sanding but sometimes when your close to getting the imperfection out I get over zealous and screw myslelf haha. I can put ohw over the pattern if I have sanded down to it past clear?  I thought for some reason once past the clearcoat to where the pattern is you have to sand until the pattern is gone.  Thanks for your help man  
    Nope, you can go OHW right over the top as the ink layer is thin. If you bust through something that will absorb at a different rate, you may have troubles, but I think you can bury these inconsistent bases here.
    @WileECoyote
    that picture was after I sanded with 400 to recoat after I busted through  the clearcoat I was going gentle with 1500 grit and got overzealous. I see what you mean to scuff add another layer of clear then sand, as it gives you more thickness to sand out bumps. Thanks for your time guys. 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe

Get a bigger tip and spray wetter and slower - go with a 1.4

This...that mini is way too small for that large of a part...
    edited April 2017
    Cool thanks guys I'll use my iwata lph400. I dont know why I like using the mini gun, I'm just the most comfortable on that. I'll have to use my larger guns more often. Thanks for the help I have already dipped it again I'll be clearing in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Cool thanks guys I'll use my iwata lph400. I dont know why I like using the mini gun, I'm just the most comfortable on that. I'll have to use my larger guns more often. Thanks for the help I have already dipped it again I'll be clearing in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Just open it up and let it flow! Your mini gun would probably work, you just have to slooooow down. Let it wet out.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,438Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    My mini gun works great for clearing stuff like tumblers. But something large, yea, I use the lph400.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,567Member ✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin dont loose the tip for that gun lol
    Much better this time around!  Used my lph400. Just curious what are you guys using for pressure trigger pulled in the lph. It's a 1.4 cap. I was around 28 psi trigger pulled 
    19lbs trigger pulled.
    looch said:

@smedlin dont loose the tip for that gun lol

19lbs trigger pulled.

This...
    What would dropping it from 28 to 19 do?

(28 is about what I use also)
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,406Member ✭✭✭✭
    I shoot at 22. It feels like when I go higher I'm getting runs and maybe not moving quick enough
    Seems like we get more orange peel at higher pressure.
    smedlin said:

What would dropping it from 28 to 19 do?

(28 is about what I use also)

You want to shoot at the lowest pressure you can to get the clear to atomize...old school painters or guys that are not up on the new clears will tell you to crank the pressure up...ask me how I know?...It's a HVLP gun...High Volume LOW Pressure...try dropping it down to 19 or 20 and see how much better the clear lays down...
    Thanks @K2Concepts.. always learning so much on this forum
    @smedlin You were supposed to text me the other day and remind me about that 1.8 tip...
    Higher pressure drives out the solvents before the paint reaches the object being painted, causes more overspray, wastes material, fools you into thinking you have a good coat while it's wet... then dries a bit and shows a bunch of junk, blows dirt up off of whatever you have the part sitting on, and makes your compressor work harder for no reason... Need any other reasons?

@smedlin You were supposed to text me the other day and remind me about that 1.8 tip...

wow, I was never notified by the forums I had a return message. Had to go look to see what you was talking about...

Higher pressure drives out the solvents before the paint reaches the object being painted, causes more overspray, wastes material, fools you into thinking you have a good coat while it's wet... then dries a bit and shows a bunch of junk, blows dirt up off of whatever you have the part sitting on, and makes your compressor work harder for no reason... Need any other reasons?

This...
    I paint and clear at 27psi..

I'll turn down the psi when I clear, see if that gives even better results.

personally, I think clear coat is the hardest part of all this.