Have you ever?

bmxprojectbmxproject Posts: 279Member ✭✭
edited April 2017 in Tips and Techniques
Has anyone ever done a bumper half and half with a seem in the middle due to tank size?

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,673Member ✭✭✭✭
    @bmxproject if you plan on putting a pinstripe down the center it would be ok to do 2 hits
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,742Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or if doing carbon fiber  flip the film around like in @k2concepts video symmetrical carbon fiber 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,276Member, Moderator El Moderator
    looch said:

Or if doing carbon fiber  flip the film around like in @k2concepts video symmetrical carbon fiber 

It'd have to be a small bumper, then. The film is only a meter wide. To get the symmetrical look, you have to dip one length ways and the next 90 degrees to that.
  • bmxprojectbmxproject Posts: 279Member ✭✭
    My bad guys. I ment half and half by width. Like right side left side cuz i only have a 5ft tank
    edited April 2017
    @bmxproject if you plan on putting a pinstripe down the center it would be ok to do 2 hits
    In texas front license plates are mandatory. I thought thatd hid the seem. And camo is popular. So not as delicate as carbon fiber
    Post edited by bmxproject on
    NotSoFast said:
    It'd have to be a small bumper, then. The film is only a meter wide. To get the symmetrical look, you have to dip one length ways and the next 90 degrees to that.
    That is good to know. Great tips
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,742Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black racing stripe in the middle to hide the seam
  • getcoated28384getcoated28384 Posts: 11Member
    I know this post is from a year ago, but this is on my to-do list on our own vehicle. Hoping to catch attention. Plan on using urban digital. The print already looks as if it has seams and crisp, straight lines going through it....hopefully it won't be too noticable. If so, then back to plain bumper it is.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,443Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @getcoated28384 instead of masking a straight line seam with tape, use your imagination and cut the tape edge to match a more digital-Camo like pattern. Like irregular square edges similar to the size of the squares on the pattern you choose. It won’t be perfect, and you will still see it... but nobody else will.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,276Member, Moderator El Moderator

@getcoated28384 instead of masking a straight line seam with tape, use your imagination and cut the tape edge to match a more digital-Camo like pattern. Like irregular square edges similar to the size of the squares on the pattern you choose. It won’t be perfect, and you will still see it... but nobody else will.

Great idea. It's amazing how well an irregular line in something looks so much better. When I wrap a truck in camo, there are seams where the roof meets the door pillars, for example. Just cutting a wavy or slightly jagged line on the overlapping piece makes the seam just disappear when it was glaringly obvious with the straight cut.
  • getcoated28384getcoated28384 Posts: 11Member

Mind blown! That makes perfect sense and I never would have thought of it, until after trial and error (if at all). Thanks a lot!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,443Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Some of these tricks just come from experience. Glad to help people when I can. You can even get those craft scissors that cut a zig-zag edge and help hide carbon fiber or camo seams. Just match/mask where a line is already and it often times blends right in. Sometimes its better to accent the line (racing stripe, different film, airbrushing, etc. like mentioned above), sometimes better to try and blend it. There is no "Correct" way and different people will think different things look best.

Ultimately, once you get your mind wrapped around the process more, just sit down up front and talk to the customer. "Here are your options... X Y Z... Here are the benefits and downfalls of each. Here are problem areas on the parts where stretch/trapped air are a concern and we can do this, or this to help in those areas..." With most jobs that discussion isn't really needed and you do what looks best. Sometimes you will want to head off the problems straight away before they see the final result and don't like it. It comes with experience.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,392Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics that's a great idea right there... U are good for something lol !!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,380Administrator El Jefe

Some of these tricks just come from experience. Glad to help people when I can. You can even get those craft scissors that cut a zig-zag edge and help hide carbon fiber or camo seams. Just match/mask where a line is already and it often times blends right in. Sometimes its better to accent the line (racing stripe, different film, airbrushing, etc. like mentioned above), sometimes better to try and blend it. There is no "Correct" way and different people will think different things look best.

Ultimately, once you get your mind wrapped around the process more, just sit down up front and talk to the customer. "Here are your options... X Y Z... Here are the benefits and downfalls of each. Here are problem areas on the parts where stretch/trapped air are a concern and we can do this, or this to help in those areas..." With most jobs that discussion isn't really needed and you do what looks best. Sometimes you will want to head off the problems straight away before they see the final result and don't like it. It comes with experience.

It comes with experience...really the only way you are going to know is by doing this over and over and making mistakes...just the way you learn...