Forums get me in trouble

movingmanmovingman Posts: 3Member
Hello all,

Newbie from Iowa here. 

I run a small family owned moving business that I started with my father and brothers 2004. The business keeps us super busy in the summers and my full time guys busy in the winter.  We are always looking for other revenue streams though cause depending on guys to show up for work is nerve racking, especially with young guys.  Because of that we also rent Budget trucks, have a resale shop, and comic book store(my little brothers obsession).  

I started looking at hydrographics as a new revenue stream and still have hopes to make that happen in the long run but know that is not in my near future. 

Initially I purchased aerosol base coat, activator, clear, and a few films. Just to see if I liked doing it or could.  I really like the "art" of the process, and even though I see many imperfections, the response from others at the results is gratifying. 

I have now started working on getting the proper tools together to do it right. I purchased a devilbiss starter kit that has 2 guns and three tips. Have some OHW paint kits coming, Superbrew activator, k2 clear, and some films. 

I plan to to try and attend a class but being so new to all of this I may sign up at a local community college for their automotive painting classes first to get the training with spay guns. Nice thing about having the resale shop is that I have an endless supply of crap to paint and practice with. 

I am going to set up diy tank that at least heats the water and clears the surface and hope to buy a real tank in not to far off future. 

The information from this forum has been grea and I look forward to getting everyone's advice on what to spend my money on going forward. 

I guess my first question is going to be about the spray guns I purchased.  The paperwork states 30 psi inlet pressure delivers 10psi air cap pressure at 13 cfm air volume. I don't know what that means. I just want to make sure I purchased the right spray guns. 

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks. 

Ps is it just me or is it really tough to post using a mobile phone? Think I may have to post from my desktop in the future. 

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,709Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot to mention what size and cfm compressor you plan on using. Also @onehitwonder sells  guns that will work off a small pancake compressor 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,350Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I use my phone often, but use the full site format instead of the mobile format. I like it better.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,731Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, and please feel free to text us with any questions

305-318-1468

JJ
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,311Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Guessing that Devilbiss kit isn't going to stick around long. any chance you can return it? learning on a good gun to start with never hurt anyone.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,844Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hydro-Dipping was invented by the Devil to make you angry and throw things.

Hmp, I may ask the wife to make me a shirt that says that.. kind of true.

(Don't go to local college to learn how to paint. Go to one of the forum sponsors' training class.)
  • dgskidgski Posts: 55Member
    WELCOME
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 677Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!
  • movingmanmovingman Posts: 3Member
    What would be a good compressor to have? I have access to two compressor at work that are about identical just different companies. Those are a 5hp 21 gallon made by central pnuematic that stands upright, and a 5hp 20 gallon made by charge air pro that is on wheels. I also have a pancake compressor at home i think its a porter cable that I do not have the info on right now.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭✭✭
    @movingman what is the cfm on the compressors? That's what I would go by to see if they can handle the different guns and blasting cabinet etc.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,264Administrator El Jefe
    Pancake won't be enough...21 barely...I would invest in a new compressor with a 60 to 80 gallon reserve...minimum...and welcome to the forum!
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,242Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Our 60 gallon barely keeps up.
  • movingmanmovingman Posts: 3Member
    Just doing some quick google searches would a Husky 80 gal be sufficient? specs say "16.1 CFM at 40 psi and 14 CFM at 90 psi" Like I said, I am new to a lot of this, so I don't know what effect the CFM has on the performance. Thanks.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,264Administrator El Jefe
    80 gallon will be fine...for starters... :lol: